Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Special requests at QMH?

babyat23 is offline Registered User

Special requests at QMH?

Hi I'm doing my birth plan now...I thought about making a request for the baby to be placed on my chest while they do the APGAR test on him.

Do you think they will let me do it?:missingto

carang is offline Registered User
    doubt it, but might as well ask...

LLL_Sarah is offline Registered User
    Ideally the baby will stay in skin-to-skin contact until he has finished his first breastfed - usually betwen 50 to 90 minutes after birth. Watch the video at Breast Crawl - Initiation of Breastfeeding by Breast Crawl - Emotional Development, Mother-infant Attachment, Bonding to get an idea of what I'm suggesting.

It is difficult to say how open the midwife who helps you is to the idea of you and the baby staying together but you definitely won't get this special time unless you ask for it.

Best wishes,
    SARAH
    La Leche League Leader
    www.lllhk.org

papa2b is offline Registered User
    Actually in our experience they really do try to accommodate your wishes as per your birth plan. Unless there is a medical reason not to do so, im sure you will be able to get most of what you want on your birth plan.

Anyway, upon admission give your plan to the head nurse. The nurse and the attending doctor will go through it with you in detail and let you know what they can/can't do.

nicolejoy is offline Registered User
    I was amazed that QMH did pretty much follow my birth plan as much as possible, including placing the baby on my chest immediately after birth. They did take her to be cleaned up for 5 minutes probably about 10 min after she was born, but then they brought her back and encouraged and helped me to breastfeed her - and they allowed my husband and I to have "family time" with our new baby for probably nearly an hour before we were taken into our ward and hubby went home...

They do have their policies there and they can be a bit overly strict - but they really do try to accommodate your requests... probably it also depends on who you are dealing with - some are probably better than others... but you can only ask.

elaine is offline Registered User
    I second nicolejoy. My birth plan was very straightforward and they had no problems with it. I did get snipped but they checked with me and at that point, I would do anything to get the baby out!

They took away the baby for cleaning and then brought the baby back immediately for breastfeeding. They are pro breastfeeding.

canadianinhk is offline Registered User
    I had the same experience as nicolejoy and elaine. Baby given to me and then taken away for cleaning. They brought him back and helped me breastfeed and then left my husband and I alone for about an hour to have time together with the baby before bringing me back to the ward.