Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Ethical Dilema Need Advice

NewMommie is offline Registered User
    We heard our next door neighbors hitting their maid (at least that was what it sounded like), and went downstairs and told the building security/management/doorman to check it out. They should speak Cantonese and that way, you won't get directly involved and they can decipher what is going on. Like fingerscrossed's advice, I think it is best to keep out of it personally, and also better to let someone better equipped deal with it. I would think you can try this first before going to child services, just in case it is not exactly what you suspect and something more innocuous. Also, not to make light of your concerns, but Cantonese spoken vigorously actually sounds like yelling to me even when I've been told it's not...

carang is offline Registered User
    my husband's mum & uncle ALWAYS sound angry!

Shenzhennifer is offline Registered User
    I agree with fingerscrossed to talk to the management office, since you wouldn`t be able to communicate with them anyway. Alternatively, do your neighbours speak English? Can you ask them what`s going on and if they think there`s room for concern? I would hesitate about calling child services since you don`t know what exactly is going on and if the gov`t agency is anything like the Children`s Aid Society in Canada, they would act first and ask questions later. You would feel even worse if they ended up taking the child away from the mother - how would she feel if there was no real abuse going on?
    In my opinion it definitely needs addressing, not only for the child`s sake, but for the sake of peace in the apartment, but I think the management office should be contacted first, and then left to them, for now.

megan2008 is offline Registered User
    I am definately going to call the office the next time I hear hysterical cries. I have heard the baby crying and mom screaming but it doesn't seem like it has been as bad since I posted. Thanks for all your suggestions :)

Sleuth is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by megan2008 View Post
    I am definately going to call the office the next time I hear hysterical cries. I have heard the baby crying and mom screaming but it doesn't seem like it has been as bad since I posted. Thanks for all your suggestions :)
    Maybe your neighbor is on this forum.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12