Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Baby fussy from cold/cough

Obiwan is offline Registered User

Baby fussy from cold/cough

We just got back from Canada, and all 3 of us are down with cold. For me and my hubby, it's ok, but our little angel baby is no longer contented.

She threw up 3x at the airport lounge, and had a projectile vomit on the plane. As soon as we got back, we took her to the doctor who basically gave us a saline spray. We have been using that, together with a pump to clear her running nose. It has been 4 days since, and I think her running nose is getting slightly better, though it is still stuffed up at times. But her cough is getting worse.

As you can imagine she is no longer sleeping through the night, but what's worse is that she is constantly fussy and crying. She doesn't sleep well, doesn't eat well and always wants to be held. As soon as we put her down, she will cry. Even when we hold her, she still cries at times. She was never like that. I don't know what to do. Is this normal? Do we just let her be and in a couple of days, she will get better?

Would appreciate any advice. Thanks. She is 4months old btw.

carang is offline Registered User
    i would give it a few days. spend those days comforting her as much as possible. forget everything else or you will drive yourself mad!

if she is still coughing a lot in a few days, say by saturday, then take her again.

you know how awful you feel when you're sick. your baby feels the same. at least you are able to tell yourself that you'll be better in a week, your baby doesn't know that she'll get better, too. she can't figure out what's wrong with her.

another thing to try is check the humidity level in your home. a vaporiser with a little mentholatum may help a little bit.

good luck! it is completely terrible seeing your little one suffer and know that there is not much else you can do to make her feel better.

FutureHKmom is offline Registered User
    Did your little one not get any cough medicine or medicine for her runny nose? I would think that if she has a really bad stuffy nose and cough that makes her feel so uncomfortable she should take some medicine. Saline spray may not be enough.....

My little one had a runny nose for two weeks. I just let him be for one week but he didn't get better and I took him to the doctor. The ped gave us a nose spray and some other medicine for his runny nose. I ended up just giving him the nose spray and not the other medicine and he got better after three days! I was reluctant to give medicine but I thought that it would be better to give him some since he had a runny nose for so long.

Also, are you BFing? My ped told me that BFing would help with a cold as I would pass my baby my antibodies.

The doctor basically gave us a saline spray and a nasal drop. The nasal drop is to be used once a day only, when we think that the stuffy nose is affecting her sleep and not to be used past 3 days. No other medication was given.

No, she is on formula now.

By the way - the nose spray was medicated, not the saline spray.

carang is offline Registered User
    i believe that 4 months is too young to be giving any "medication".

I guess a doctor would know best about what can and can not be given at 4 months. My son is 9 months so a bit older. But he was already given fever "medication" for after his vaccinations just in case he had fever afterwards when he was 2 months old so maybe some "medication" is ok. Again, a doctor would know best.

Hang in there Obiwan! She will get better soon! Best wishes to your little on for a speedy recovery!

I certainly hope so FutureHKmom!!

I hope my little bub will get better soon and go back to being the angel baby who sleeps through the night at 7 weeks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast