Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

How to allow a 3 year old to get a filing?

sunrays is offline Registered User

How to allow a 3 year old to get a filing?

Despite regular brushing and little sugar my three year old daughter has a cavity in her molar. I am interested to hear from other parents who have been in a similar situation. How did you get your toddler to cooperate with the dentist to get the tooth filled? Did you need more than one sitting? What did you do to prepare your child? We tried today and although she allowed him to count her teeth, once the noisy instruments came out she lasted 5 seconds.

She has a book about dentists and we practised at home but the noise of those instruments and having three people peering over her was just too much. Will go back and try again.

Really need help as we don't want to go to the hospital and put her under a general. She has a heart condition which makes it all a bit complicated.

Thanks

yonge is offline Registered User
    We just took our son (age 4.75) to our dentist and he lasted through the whole examination and cleaning, including tartar removal. Our dentist is generally against seeing children under 5, because most won't sit still or have to have GA. How bad is the cavity? You might be able to wait another couple of years before filling it in. The dentist should be able to tell you. Did she get an X-ray? Depending on the cavity, she may be able to wait with regular brushing. Also, some people's teeth are more prone to cavities, despite good brushing habits. Has something to do with the thickness of the enamel and the enzymes in the saliva, which is believed to be hereditary. You might also want to start with flossing - we use the little flossers you can get at Mannings. Good luck!

barbwong_130 is offline Registered User
    Unfortunately both my boys had to have dental treatment while very young. The first was only two and a half. The dentist gave me a pre-med to give him a while before the appointment and asked me to make an appointment when he would be tired and usually took a nap.

He always napped after going to the parent and toddler group and when the dentist heard this she told me to come at lunch time so she'd have more time to take things slowly. He didn't fall asleep during the treatment but was somewhat dozy and cooperative.

My second son also had dental treatment at a young age but older than my first. With him my husband took him rather than me as he always behaved better with him (or maybe my husband was calmer than me which allowed my son to behave better). First my husband lay on the dentist's chair and my son was on top being cuddled and all was OK.

Good luck,
    Barb

She has not had any x-rays but we have seen two dentists and both said it is pretty deep, needs doing in the next few weeks, we can't leave it months. Will look into flossers, thanks for that tip.

Who did you go to Barb? I was also thinking about the possibility of her lying on me. Will look into that. Thanks.

elaine is offline Registered User
    The dentist I went to is very kid friendly. She had her teeth cleaned at 2.5 years old and filling done at 3 years old.

My LO gets to don kiddy sunglasses. And watched cartoon on the screen during the whole process. She knows she will get a little present from the nurse after everything is done so, she loves to visit the dentist.

lemonade is offline Registered User

Maybe try Dr. Giles?

I don't know what dentist you are using but I can highly recommend Dr. Denise Giles for children. She is British and has a lovely, calm manner with children. Her surgery has an under the sea mural, she has dvds that play from a tv suspended from the ceiling over the children and she wears Shrek scrubs.

In Canada, my daughter was terribly uncooperative at the dentist and would scream and cry every time he came near her. We tried everything from having her lie on me (didn't work at all) to bringing her when she was sleepy (she was more grumpy and uncooperative than usual) so I was dreading the dentist when we came to Hong Kong, however, Dr. Giles has been great from the first appointment and no more problems.

Dr. Giles, lets the child hold a mirror so that they can see what she is doing, which REALLY seemed to help with our daughter as I think that a lot of the fear came from not knowing what was happening and just hearing terrifying noises. She also shows them the instruments and lets them feel and see what they do (of course only with those that aren't dangerous like the polishing brush) before she puts them in their mouth.

Dr. Giles
    1-3 Pedder Street
    1402 Central Building
    2525 3311

Good luck!

Thanks lemonade. I spoke to Dr Giles this morning and she was very helpful on the phone. Problem is she has broken her arm and is out of action until 9th Feb!! I am 6 months pregnant and want to sort this out ASAP but if we are in the same situation come Feb, then I will go and see her for sure.

Elaine, who did you see?