Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Starting IVF - stress?

Liquorice is offline Registered User

Starting IVF - stress?

Hi, I am starting IVF at the end of the month and wondering how stressful the process is. I work full time, my job is pretty stressful, and I am wondering whether it would make sense to take some time off whilst I have IVF and if so when the best time to do it would be. My doctor has said that I shouldn't quit work completely as this would put more pressure/focus more stress on the procedure, but, particularly given the cost of trying, I can't help but worry that work stress during the process could threaten the chances of success.

Does anyone who has been through IVF have any thoughts on this? Any comments would be appreciated. Thanks.

crystal88 is offline Registered User
    yes, it's VERY stressful esp you won't know the outcome. If you are working, then maybe that's better so you won't think about IVF and focus on something else. Just make sure your workload is not so much. Good luck!

mel_g20 is offline Registered User
    It is stressful, and quite intensive with the drugs, injections and scans... however I was also working at the time, and I think this kept me busy focusing on something other than the IVF process. I think if you gave up work during this time, then it would be difficult not to think of anything else.

Saying that, I was lucky that I was able to manage my many visits to the clinic around my job. Sometimes I had to be in work a little late, or take a longer lunch break. I didnt tell anyone at work what I was doing, and I managed to get around it, so I was lucky no one questioned what I was up to. Hopefully your job will allow you to do this too. If not then you may have to consider talking to someone at work, or using holiday time at important times. It is abit of a juggling act.

The other thing I would say is that it is quite an emotional time, and the drugs involved make it even more so. Be prepared to be a little more unpredictable emotionally during the process. If you are able to keep this in mind whilst you are at work, as sometimes work pressures can feel harder to deal with. If you can try not to take on too much whether it be work related or in your own time.

Other than that, all I can say is good luck... I really have my fingers crossed for you. Both my children are IVF, so I know what you are going through. Good luck.

Suv
    Suv is offline Registered User
    Hi Licorice, Sorry to hear you need to go through this process. It is stressful because of- 1. the drugs you are taking make your hormones levels much higher and you have very keen emotions. 2. you have to take rest/ relax specially during the 2 week wait but it seems impossible and it gets even more annoying when everyone tells you to relax since it seems to do the opposite.

I found that it was easier for me to work while I went through my IVF procedures. My deadlines distracted me from thinking about it 24/7 and getting stressed. But as mel_g20 mentioned, you would need to think about how you can take some time during the work day. A number of doctors are running late for their appointments. My work was reasonably flexible so I didn't have to worry about this part atleast. Wishing you the best of luck and lots of baby dust!

dimsum mum is offline Registered User
    Hi Licorice
    Sorry that your IF journey has taken to you the costly road of IVF, but so glad we live in a day and age when such treatments are available to us.
    YES, IVF is emotional. Hormones are pumped into your system, and you are on a daily wait and see .... have follicles developed? Do i have triple lining? Will my e2 level show that i am ready to trigger? Are the follicles dominant? every twinge is analysed.

And it all comes down to one thing that you have little to no control over...WILL YOU ACHIEVE A TAKE HOME PREGNANCY?

it costs so much money and you're wondering...if this doesn't work, can we afford to do this again?

if i were you, i would keep working, but take a couple days off, transfer and the two days after. you might be uncomfortable anyway so it is a good idea.

GOOD LUCK TO YOU. feel free to vent here anytime.

Liquorice is offline Registered User
    Thank you, everyone, for your comments and help. I think I will keep working but just take a couple of days off after the embryo transfer - it will be close to CNY anyway according to current plans.

I have experienced the emotional roundabout, to some extent at least, with IUI. Is emotional sensitivity with IVF about the same or a lot worse? Anyone know?

dimsum mum is offline Registered User
    Hi again
    I agree with May. I found IVF to be more stressful than IUI. More drugs, more invasive, more blood tests. More scans. More things that can go wrong.

Your plans sound very sensible. Good on you.
    Again, once things get moving and you want to discuss levels, twinges, bloating...we're here. hang in there lovey.

iolana is offline Registered User
    I would also suggest that you keep working through your IVF attempts as it does help you keep some "normality". I worked through all of my IVF attempts - 2 fresh and 2 frozen.

It is helpful if you can take some time off around the time of your egg collection and transfer, although it's hard to know exactly when it will be. I found it a bit stressful to take an unscheduled day off for the egg collection (called in sick) and then not knowing whether I would need a day off 3 days later or 5 days later for the transfer. I also did accupuncture during my cycles. Not sure how much it helped, but it definitely didn't hurt my chances and I would fall asleep which was relaxing! I also had a great cycle buddy group on IVF Connections which was an enormous help. My buddy group from IVFC is still in touch from time to time even 4 years later!

I think the fresh IVF cycle is more stressful than IUI, but I didn't find the FETs so stressful. I think the amount of drugs in a fresh IVF cycle probably increases the stress you feel. Good luck and keep posting as I think it's a good way to deal with the stress!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast