Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Help going to Canada toronto with baby for first time!!

csj
    csj is offline Registered User
    1,2: As everyone said already, jet-lag and time change affects everyone, including babies. We went to Canada (Calgary) last September for a month. He was 7 months when we went. It took about 1.5 weeks to get him somehow used to Canada time (meaning for us to get a decent night sleep) but eventually took 3.5 weeks for baby to fully adjust to Canada time, which by then was almost time to leave.
    Therefore, it depends on how long you're planning to stay there but try to get him used to the time zone once you're there as quickly as possible (for ex., make his normal HK time sleep as naps so he gets tired for the Canada sleep time) but don't stress about it too much.

3. You will get the stink-eye just for having a baby on the airplane. So keep the baby normal routine in the airplane, bring his favorite toys. As the other ladies said, let him sleep as much as he wants to and try to nurse or give him something to suck on during take-off and landing.
    We find that bassinettes are a great idea but in the end not really as you have to take baby out of it whenever the plane hits turbulences. So even when our baby was sleeping soundly, we had to take him out of it and eventually he ended up sleeping on us throughout the whole flight.

4. Unless the security rules also changed for Canada due to the latest scare in the US, baby formula and food are the only 'liquids' allowed in the cabin. I would personally bring my own food so I know what I feed him is good and somewhat healthier.

5. No problem with the stroller. When you check-in, they will put a tag on the stroller, give you a plastic bag for it (to use later) and let you push around the airport until you're ready to board the airplane. When boarding time comes, you will have to leave the stroller (in the plastic bag) at the door of the airplane. Then upon landing, the stroller will be ready for you once you step out of the airplane door --you may also have to wait a little in case of delays.
    From my experience, Cathay (but only out of HK) is the only company that provides plastic bag for the stroller.

Good luck with all the logistics and have a good trip!

Shenzhennifer is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by carang View Post
    i've never had to put my stroller into a plastic bag... never flown CX though. gone China Eastern (NEVER again) & Northwest since kids came along.
    CX gave us a big bag to put our stroller in. My husband and I were too busy with our starbucks to bother with it (oh and um, taking care of our BABY), and the antsy attendent who wanted us on the plane pronto ended up doing it for us (like they should - CX overcharges babies without a seat, crazy). When we were finished with our coffees, of course though;)

carang is offline Registered User
    sounds like a royal pain in the ummmm.... neck?(family site and all...)

rani is offline Administrator
    We just returned from a short trip, and I noticed that on the Long Haul flights, they've added an extra security at the gate, and all liquids that people had purchased in the terminal were being confiscated.

Can anyone confirm is this correct?

aussie mum is offline Registered User
    rani - all flights to US and Australia have been like that for a while. no liquids at all to be brought on the plane. even if they were purchased in the terminal. not sure if they have extended the same rules to other destinations too.....

rani is offline Administrator
    Ok, didn't realize. The flights we saw were going to Europe.

Obiwan is offline Registered User
    Yes have been like this for a while .... at least for flights to and from the US.

banane76 is offline Registered User
    what about breast milk?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast