Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sunshine House International - the Peak

Melody97 is offline Registered User

Re. Music at Highgate House

Thanks for your reply instantnoodle. Sorry, more questions...

Do you mind me asking what types of songs they sing? For instance, are they popular childrens songs (I.e. Found on children CDs) or new simple chants/songs which are not so popular? Also, do they do any movement and percussion instrument activities like Kindermusik and Gymboree? And what sort of music curriculum do they follow or is there no curriculum - only singing for singing sake?

Thanks again to you and to anyone else with information re. this school.

coco1 is offline Registered User

Highgate House

Hi

My 2.5 yr old goes to Highgate House and is extremely happy there- always very excited on a school day and goes off singing. I'll give you what I think about it- for what it's worth!

I echo what has been said about it being very gentle. There's an emphasis on helping your child develop into a well-rounded individual rather than achieving academic targets at the youngest possible age. They use the young child's natural way of imitating adults to educate rather than flashcards and formal lessons. My personal experience of this is extremely positive. I was slightly worried the philosophy was a bit "new age hippy" and would result in my daughter learning nothing but have found the reality quite different.

Pluses for us:
    Happy child!
    Extremely able, kind, educated staff with great advice on general childcare issues
    Builds great social skills and confidence with other kids and adults
    Activities she wouldn't do much elsewhere (baking bread, playing in garden with rabbits, eating with a large group together at a table, messy artwork etc)
    Vocab and speech are good- engaging, repeated stories help
    The classes are excellent at encouraging imaginative play

Negatives for us:
    The routine is not so exciting for me as a grown-up. The kids love it but it drives me mad to do the same kinds of things each time!
    The price- in my opinion it's pretty expensive for what it is (apparently due to location at the Peak with high rent) and has occasional "school outings to park/ beach/ inset days etc" in paid school time, which annoys me slightly but I expect is the same at most places.
    Lots of helpers in the parent/ child classes and not so many parents- possibly because the other parents find the routine a bit much too!

Your questions re music: The music is integrated into the daily routine. They sing all sorts of songs- often linked to festivals/ times of the year. Some are popular (ie Christmas carols, nursery rhymes in Mandarin and English) and some are more unusual. The songs are sung in a circle and usually have actions and maybe movement around the circle holding hands. It's not like some of the other music classes you mention- no recorded loud music/ brightly coloured toys etc. The songs are repeated often enough to help develop vocab and this is seemingly carefully planned according to a Steiner philosophy. It is the opposite of being the first to get your grade 5 piano etc, but I am sure a talented child would do well whilst developing other skills!

You should really see for yourself how this works- phone reception and ask to be shown round.

Hope this helps inform your decision.
    Best wishes!

Melody97 is offline Registered User
    Sorry for the late reply, Coco1. Thanks for the information regarding Highgate House. The school sounds wonderful but the price may be too high for us. But I will call to make an appointment with the school all the same. I may also drop in to see Sunshine House on the Peak. This is closeby so convenient. But the comments I've read about this school online and on this forum is not too good, especially about the high teacher turnover. I'm still curious to see what this school looks like, how they teach and what their curriculum is like.

mollyemily is offline Registered User

Pips

Hi,
    Does anyone anything about PIPS at Parkview? They have a nice campus but haven't heard much about the school.

thanks

appletree123 is offline Registered User
    Any one has recent experience at Sunshine Peak location?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12