Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Choices - where to go?

Panda2010 is offline Registered User
    Im definitely of the view of saving HK$100,000 for cots / other essentials / education than for a few days in hospital!!

carang is offline Registered User
    what you can do is see a private doctor for some of your check ups, then when you approach your due date, register to go to the public hospital. that way you get more personal care from the private doctor (and get to make use of your insurance) and the cheap facilities of the public hospital. you can call tsan yuk(they do the pre-natal checkups for qmh) and ask about doing part private and part public.

Does anyone know of a doctor who will take care of you for the check-ups only?

nicolejoy is offline Registered User
    I'm currently seeing Dr Patrick Chan for check ups, and I'm delivering at Pamela Youde hospital in July. I'm extremely happy with Dr Chan - he's about the 4th or 5th obgyn that I've seen and by far, he's my favourite. He's also perfectly happy with doing the check ups and for me to deliver at the public hospital. Also, I've only ever waited about 10-15 min to see him!! (although I've only been twice, still early stages). He's a million times better than the other people that I've seen though.

My first child was born at Queen Mary, but I'm technically in the Pamela Youde area (North Point is right on the border between the two). I hadn't heard about Pamela Youde much when I was pregnant with my first and so I decided on Queen Mary. Since my first was born, I've heard really good things about Pamela Youde so I decided to go there instead. I'm planning on staying in their "special accommodation ward" which is 4 person rooms with better visiting hours, but I think it only costs about $15K to stay there (need to check though). I'm like you, my insurance covers about $40,000 but I don't want to be $60-100K out of pocket for a 3 day stay in hospital, plus a "nicer" birthing experience. The public system, although not particularly "pampering", is adequate.

Thanks NicoleJoy.

How was Queen Mary? Im thinking about going there. How do you go about booking yourself in to the public hospital? How can I find out about costs?

Many thanks.

rani is offline Administrator
    Panda,

You need to register at Tsan Yuk Hospital, where all the Queen Mary prenatal care is done. The Antenatal Registration: 2589 2100

More info here:

http://www.ha.org.hk/haho/ho/hesd/100133e.htm

carang is offline Registered User
    i have a feeling that if you live in tai tam, you will have to go to pamela youde nethersole...it's much closer than QMH.

Gataloca is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by starbucks2 View Post
    As a guide to costs in the private world, I just delivered my second baby 2 weeks ago. I would say that the private obstetrician visits throughout my pregnancy were about $25K. My delivery for a twin room at Matilda - 3 days natural delivery with epidural was $90K. You may be able to go to a private doctor for half of your obs visits throughout your pregnancy and go public for the rest and may still have enough left to pay for a 4 person room in a private hospital for the delivery but I think that this would be unlikely. Your best bet may be to go private for all obs visits and then deliver at a public hospital. Of the $90K for my delivery bill, $38K was my obs fee, $10K for the epidural and $32K for the hospital charges. Pediatrician fees were on top of that (but they also should come out of the baby's insurance on the assumption that they will be covered under your insurance from birth).
    Is the doctor fee separate from the hospital fee??? I thought it was all in a package. I am planning on delivering in Union Hospital Shatin. Saw from the brochure that would cost like 20-30K for a twin room, but didn't know that doctor fee was not included....

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Scroll to top