Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Choices - where to go?

carang is offline Registered User
    AFAIK, that does not include doctors. you may also need a paediatrician, an anesthesiologist and an obgyn...could add up.

Nenea is offline Registered User
    I'm also planning on delivering at Union, I see my doctor on Sat and will ask what his fees will be.... can you really negotiate the doctor's fee as someone stated earlier? That just seems incredible...

nicolejoy is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by Panda2010 View Post
    Thanks NicoleJoy.

How was Queen Mary? Im thinking about going there. How do you go about booking yourself in to the public hospital? How can I find out about costs?

Many thanks.
    I was happy enough with Queen Mary but personally, I think that I will like Pamela Youde better - but I won't be able to say for sure until after the baby is born. Queen Mary doesn't have the option of "special accommodation wards" and their private rooms are almost the same price as a private hospital so there is no point. Also, it's probably THE busiest hospital in Hong Kong, soooo crazy and so many people. Pamela Youde seems quieter and I think that will be a benefit... even if I DON'T do the special accommodation ward, there's sure to be less people in the general ward than there were at Queen Mary...

To book at Queen Mary, you can call Tsan Yuk (someone already gave the number earlier), to book at Pamela Youde, you need to go there (no appointment necessary) with some kind of positive pregnancy test (I had a letter from my doctor) - although I think you could register by fax as well? I don't know. Pamela Youde's number is 2595 7727. Either hospital will be able to tell you which district you live in and therefore which hospital you should go to. If you want to go to the other one, you'll need "proof of residence" in the other district - a self addressed envelope to a friends house would suffice...

rani is offline Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Nenea View Post
    I'm also planning on delivering at Union, I see my doctor on Sat and will ask what his fees will be.... can you really negotiate the doctor's fee as someone stated earlier? That just seems incredible...
    Very few Drs publish their fees and prefer to share this with patients during a consultation. Another Mum and I were seeing the same Dr, and we were quoted different fees for Natural birth. Also, fees increase depending what type of room you select. Our Dr wanted $8K for a general ward, and $50K for a private room :)
    Last edited by rani; 01-13-2010 at 07:00 PM.

hkmom1 is offline Registered User
    Hi,

I was in the same boat and used a private doctor for all the checkups and prenatal care and delivered at queen mary hospital - public hospital. For the next one if we had the same circumstances I'd do the same thing again. My delivery at Queen Mary (natural w/vacuum, epidural) was a total bill of 450 hkd. Yes, I paid for my baby's birth with an octopus card.

The staff were all very nice and experienced. the biggest downside is that after wards you have to stay in a shared ward so it's a bit hard to rest if you are a light sleeper as there will be other babies cosleeping. Also the visitation hours are not so great (only 2 hours a day) but that was almost kind of nice because it allowed me to have a lot of private time with my baby and to rest.

Overall, would highly recommend QMH as a public/private mixed option.

i ALWAYS recommend anyone staying in a public hospital to take two things:

earplugs
    eyepatch

Gataloca is offline Registered User
    I don't mind staying in a ward with other women, but I do mind not having privacy, specially since I am planning on breastfeeding my baby. The curtains don't always cover well, specially with people walking around.

never had a problem with the curtains. they provide a lot of privacy. as i said, i was hospitalised 13 times... know what i'm talking about.

as for breastfeeding... they are all women who have given birth (unless visiting hours) or doctors and nurses. you ain't got nothing they haven't seen before.

i found after the actual giving birth, my ideas about privacy changed a lot.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Scroll to top