Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Baby's change of behavior, please advise.

carang is offline Registered User
    jet lag is hard on adults and we know what is going on. i often think that things like jet-lag & getting a cold we adults kind of take for granted. we KNOW it will get better. we KNOW what is wrong with us. we KNOW roughly when we will "see the light".... a poor baby has no clue about any of these things...

for all we know the baby could think it's dying the first time it gets a plugged nose!?

MommyTo3 is offline Registered User
    Sounds to me like your daughter is simply overtired, possibly because of the jetlag, the trip and her sickness. When a child is overtired, it will have more and more problems falling and staying asleep. You have to make sure your child will be better rested in order to sleep better, going to bed at 11 pm and waking up at 7.30 - 8.30 am in the morning is not enough night sleep for a 4.5 month old. I would seriously considering moving the bed time drastically forward, put her down for regular nap times, usually at this age, a morning, an afternoon and possibly a short late afternoon one, and then in bed by 8-9 pm at the very latest. All my children were going to bed at 6-7 pm at that age, and even with jet lag, after 3-4 days everything is back to normal (give it a week with the amount of jetlag in your case), but I think your child is overtired, not jet lagged.

Obiwan is offline Registered User
    she typically sleeps about 14 hours a day (naps + 8 - 9 hrs of sleep at night) .... not sure if she is able to sleep through from 7.30 - 7.30 yet though. She hasnt done that yet. The longest stretch was 11pm - 9.30am.

Mom2Sofie&Twins - do your kids (at 4.5 months) sleep from 7pm all through to the next morning without another feed, or do they wake up in between to eat?

carang is offline Registered User
    remember that "sleeping through the night" doesn't actually mean "sleeping through without ever waking up"... it means being able to sleep a 5-hour stretch at a time (according to the books).

both of my kids were excellent sleepers until they started sitting up on their own... then all hell broke loose.

haha, everyone says it gets better ... but they never warned that as it gets better ... WHAM!! ... one day it reverts to square one ... and we start all over again :)

thanks Cara, when I mentioned slept through the night i meant sleeping through without waking up, thanks for clarification.

MommyTo3 is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by Obiwan View Post
    Mom2Sofie&Twins - do your kids (at 4.5 months) sleep from 7pm all through to the next morning without another feed, or do they wake up in between to eat?
    Sleep begets sleep, I think she needs to catch up, whether or not she needs to feed in the middle of the night or not. You can still put your child to bed at 7.30 pm knowing she would wake up.

To answer your question, my oldest slept 7 to 7 at age 3 months, 6 to 7 at 4 months (she still is my best sleeper, she was over 9lbs at birth, very mellow kid). The twins, at 4-5 months, my daughter would sleep from 6 pm until 4 am, then feed. My son would occassionally wake up at midnight at that age, but stopped doing that very soon after. Then they both fed at 5 am for quite some time for a strange reason. Whether they went to bed at 6, 7, 8, 9 or 10 pm, or even midnight ... (special occassions only). At one day it all of a sudden stopped, and we separated them soon after.

I thought I was lucky to have my girl sleep through the night at 7 weeks, Mom2Sofie&Twins, you are even luckier!!!! Truly blessed :) Thanks for your advice.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast