Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Breastfeeding in public? Nursing room in malls?

LLL_Sarah is offline Registered User
    I too believe that it is important for mothers to feel comfortable to breastfeed and so anything that makes you feel more comfortable is worthwhile.

Here is an article that gives us something to think about,
    Covering up is a feminist issue
    Covering up is a feminist issue | PhD in Parenting

Best wishes,
    SARAH
    La Leche League Leader
    www.lllhk.org

Momma is offline Registered User
    I understand that it's up to the mum to do whatever she feels comfortable with. Personally, however, even though I was initially worried about breastfeeding in public in Hong Kong, I now don't even think about it. I do it whenever baby needs it, whether I'm on a bus, on the star ferry, in a restaurant, etc, just by hitching up my t-shirt. I've never had any comments, and if people look to see what I'm doing I just give them a big smile because I'm proud of myself. The more you do it in public, the more it will become second nature, so give it a go. I don't feel comfortable having to sit in a lonely, quiet bf room when out, so my choice is to do it wherever I like. Like I said though, it's up to the individual mum, but don't feel bullied into having to hide away if that's not what you want to do.

OX Jess is offline Registered User
    I am so proud of you, Momma. Wish there are lot more moms like you. Some people's attitude towards breastfeeding in public is so 'negative' - I don't see why moms should hide themselves away with their baby like they are doing something 'disgraceful'!!! One of my colleagues mentioned the other day that her sister-in-law breastfeeds her baby in the living room in the presence of her father, mother, and brothers. I asked, "What's wrong?" She pulled her face long and said, "So shameful". This attitude puts me off.

LLL_Sarah is offline Registered User
    I think that Hong Kong is perceived as a very breastfeeding unfriendly place and a place where everyone disapproves of breastfeeding in public. But I don't think this is really the case.

In 1999 a mother of a four month old was asked to stop breastfeeding in the Peninsula Hotel lobby. About 20 mothers and babies then held a protest about this. This became big news in the newspapers over the next two weeks with one paper selling the story on to the next. Finally the TV stations joined in too.

There was a Cantonese TV programme which held a telephone line vote. The programme didn't question that breastfeeding was the best. Their question was, Is it acceptable to breastfeed in public?
    55% of voters said yes and 45% said no.

Since this time the breastfeeding initiation rate in Hong Kong has increased from 50% in 1999 to over 70% now. So I believe that even more than 55% would now agree that breastfeeding in public is acceptable.

If you feel comfortable to breastfeed in public I would encourage you all to do so. It is only by everyone seeing that this is a normal activity that it truly will become a normal activity.

Best wishes,
    SARAH
    La Leche League Leader
    www.lllhk.org

tstmum is offline Registered User
    I breastfed in public, mostly in the comfy chairs in coffee shops, many times and never encountered a negative comment. I usually did not use a cover as neither of my babies were used to them. If I see another mum breastfeeding I will give her a big smile of encouragement.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123