Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Cow's milk? What type do you give your baby?

LeahH is offline Registered User

Sorry, meant to add that the above is for my 2.5 year old.

With my son we alternated breast feeds morning and night with formula via bottle during the day until this week when I stopped BF'ing completely. He's soley on formula now and I will switch him to cows milk at 1 year.

I would have kept going, but he's taken to biting me really hard so I called it a day!

solidstars is offline Registered User

my baby's also recently biting very hard... i'm trying to see if i can last until he is a year old before weaning him off BM and onto something else...

lesliefu, does your baby differentiate between the two milk? I've heard that once you give a baby a type of milk, they don't like being introduced to new ones?

I guess I need to calculate how much he'll be drinking. He doesn't drink very much pumped BM (only about 5 oz during the time i'm at work from 2-6pm) There's also the issue that with formula we'd have to learn how to mix/make it now!

Bess is offline Registered User

we use pura masters full cream and both kids love the taste, they even like the UHT (me yuk, but each to their own).

to wean both my bubbies, I started by using it on their cereal in the mornings, and then a while later a small glass in the afternoon in place of breast.

Eventually both weaned themselves around 18mth and preferred to drink their milk out of a glass. On average they have 500-600ml of milk a day, plus yoghurt and cheese to satisfy their dietary requirement of calcium. They were also eating 5 - 6 small meals a day, and the milk was a drink rather than a meal.

yonge is offline Registered User

Our children currently like the Paul's UHT milk from Australia. They used to drink Meiji fresh milk when we lived in Singapore, but that's so expensive here. I wait for Paul's to go on sale and buy the tri-packs by the dozen.

since babies aren't supposed to drink cow's milk until at least 1 years old, so technically i should start weaning when he turns 1? for example, by replacing 1 feeding with cow's milk per week?

would it be bad if i tried when he's around 10 or 11 months old?

FutureHKmom is offline Registered User

solidstars - check out this article on why cow's milk should not be given to a baby under 1. Hope this helps! CNN - The juice on cow's milk for babies - June 23, 1999

yup i've seen the different articles...

I'm not ruling out formula altogether, but at this rate (baby is REALLY attached to me) I won't be able to wean until he is 1 years old, and therefore I could jump straight to milk instead of having to buy expensive formula cans where we have to learn how to mix/make them...

I do know about the lack of iron/calcium issues... sigh... actually i'm still undecided, but leaning heavily onto weaning at 1 years old so i can skip straight to cow's milk...

Tilly is offline Registered User

I'm still giving my girl (2yrs old) formular, apart from being cheaper per L.... I think there might be more 'nutritions' in them like added DHAs, various vitamins etc

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast