Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Breastfeeding support

Gataloca is offline Registered User

Breastfeeding support

Hi, I just wondering if the hospital (private or public) here in Hong Kong would help (teach) you how to breastfeed (or bottle feed) the baby after delivery... Or are we going to be pretty much on our own?

This is going to be my first one, and frankly, I don't know much about babies.

FutureHKmom is offline Registered User
    I delivered at the Sanatorium in Happy Valley (a private hospital) and the nurses were great at teaching me how to breastfeed. If you wanted more help on breastfeeding, you could also get a lactation consultant to come help you!

Gataloca is offline Registered User
    Oh, that is cool!. Good to know that I will not be there on my own!

nicolejoy is offline Registered User
    I delivered in the public hospital (Queen Mary), and I found them to be not THAT helpful - however La Leche League were fabulous and have always had time for me whenever I've called. I know that you can also get a lactation consultant to come to your house - possibly even the hospital - and that would probably be more helpful, in my opinion. You can also go to the LLL meetings which are pretty regular, and ask them any questions about whatever difficulties you've been having. I think that the private hospitals (in particular, Matilda) are better with the support - but I've heard people say that other private hospitals weren't that good actually... And I've heard others say that the public hospitals were great. Maybe it just depends on your particular experience... But definitely take the LLL phone numbers as a back-up!!

Frenchy is offline Registered User
    I delivered at Canossa, and a nurse helped me from the first hour, to position the baby. Beside, I contacted Yvonne at The Family Zone, and she was there right after the birth (we were in contact before the birth). She gave me lots of tips for the breasfeeding and other matters, and also came to my home after. I think it's very important to get some help right after the birth (and before, to know what to expect).

starbucks2 is offline Registered User
    I delivered at Matilda and the midwives were fantastic at teaching me how to BF. For #1 baby I also had Annerley Midwives home visits and they were good. I used Sarah at Central Health for #2 baby as I needed a refresher lesson and she was also good.

It is so important to get support with latching on the baby as otherwise (like me both times) it can cause severe pain which can be avoided with some good advice.

SB2
    Last edited by starbucks2; 01-15-2010 at 08:59 PM.