Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Need advice on terminating helper

zyxwv is offline Registered User
    Agree with the posters suggesting that you should give her 1 month advance notice.

Whether she loves working abroad or not, she may not really have a choice, depending on her family's financial situation back home. If she has been a good employee, I would give her the chance to find another job. She will need your reference and so will do a good job for her.

If she doesn't actually need to work but is doing so out of loyaltly to you, I'd say she then deserves the same in return.

Shenzhennifer is offline Registered User
    Where is she going to go if you fire her and ask her to leave the same day? That sounds pretty surprising and actually cruel. She`s human, no?

carang is offline Registered User
    actually, it is quite common to terminate and have them move out on the same day. there are many instances where helpers have gotten vengeful after being terminated

however, it seems like this helper is otherwise ok and the only reason for termination is that they are relocating.

woodstock07 is offline Registered User
    They go to a boarding house after being terminated. While I agree that it's pretty cruel but if they are taking care of young children, I wouldn't take any chances for them to become vengeful or neglectful.

gladyswly is offline Registered User
    I agree, because most of the time, they did it to themselves. I wouldn't risk my baby's safety, too many cases of helpers' revenges on newspaper. Normal practice is terminate the helper and give her the plane ticket to leave HK on the same day.

geomum is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by Shenzhennifer View Post
    Where is she going to go if you fire her and ask her to leave the same day? That sounds pretty surprising and actually cruel. She`s human, no?
    Humans are selfish and vengeful too. I've had a helper for a few months now and also have seen many caring for young children around me. Their love/ attachment (If any) for your child is 'mostly' superficial which doesn't last a day after they leave.

Shenzhennifer is offline Registered User
    Yeah, sure, work is work.
    But regardless of it being common practice here (which is actually not so surprising to me the way I see how many people treat their helpers in public), to get fired and removed from your job on the same day, when the OP said it only had to do with being relocated, is cruel and unusual practice.

rani is offline Administrator
    As you're re-locating its highly unlikely that your helper will harm your children. I would also give her 1-month notice and let her know you'll support her in finding a new employer. Give her a good reference and offer to speak to any potential employers.

Geomum, have to disagree with you on the attachment. Our ex-helper is very attached to our son, and she emails and chats with him often. She helped me raise him for 5 years, and we both feel she's part of our family.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast