Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Need advice on terminating helper

geomum is offline Registered User
    Hong Kong
    Rani thats why I said 'mostly', I know some helper are very attached to the kids they help raise :)

Neha is offline Banned
    Mid Levels, Hong Kong
    we are leaving in June , Our helper who is not the best and has been with us for just over year already knows about it and is looking for jobs and she knows that we will release her on 15th June only when we leave. She is still the same with our son ( touch wood) . Our old helper who was with us for nearly 14 years is great she still visits our son. she bought so many gifts for him on his birthday

LeahH is offline Registered User
    Hong Kong, Mid Levels
    Quote Originally Posted by geomum View Post
    Humans are selfish and vengeful too. I've had a helper for a few months now and also have seen many caring for young children around me. Their love/ attachment (If any) for your child is 'mostly' superficial which doesn't last a day after they leave.
    'mostly' is a sweeping generalisation.

My helpers genuinely care for my kids and it is it quite evident that my friends helpers and many of those I see around me do also. Maybe we are just very lucky as a group.....

sherwes is offline Registered User
    I think that we really need to make a distinction between a situation where a helper is terminated for bad behaviour and a situation where a helper is effectively made redundant because the family is leaving HK.

In the first instance, it's common to ask them to leave the same day and I can totally understand why.

In the second instance, I think it would be pretty harsh not to give as much notice as possible. Imagine how she would feel! Also, if she is atttached to your children she might need some time to get her head around you leaving. My advice would be to keep her informed, tell her she is free to go to interviews on Sundays and offer to speak to potential employers for her. If there is ever a situation where she will be vengeful it will be when/if she works out that you are leaving and haven't told her!

1510 is offline Registered User
    I'm honestly pretty surprised with the suggestion that it's inhumane to ask your helper to leave on the same day. I worked in banking sector for 7 years before becoming a full time mom and it is a common practice to do this, as well as in many other professions. Hence, why is that not the case with a domestic helper? She has only worked for us for 5 months, so i dont really know how she would react to the termination. I decided to tell her in advance but getting my mom to come over to help supervise the termination and moving process.

carang is offline Registered User
    Sai Kung
    i guess the difference in hk is that while someone in the banking sector can legally remain in hk until their visa expires & look for new work (cannot undertake it until new sponsorship is arranged), helpers get 14 days to remain.

kaikosmom is offline Registered User
    I personally know a lot of DH here in HK. You'll be surprised, most of them prefer to be given 1-month salary in lieu of notice. This extra money is important to them as most have little or no savings at all.
    For your case, my advise is that since you mentioned that it would be hard for you to hide packing without raising suspicion, give her a notice that you are terminating her services because you are being relocated but still give her additional 1-month salary on top of what you need to pay her legally (since giving her 1-month in lieu is your original plan). I think she would be very grateful if you do this and treat your family better than ever.

Portia is offline Registered User
    Hong Kong
    We've done something similar to what kaikosmom has suggested before, given one month's notice and then offered a discretionary payment of one month's salary subject to maintaining performance until the last day of employment. Our helper was grateful for this I think and worked hard until her last day.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast