Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Need advice on terminating helper

1510 is offline Registered User

Need advice on terminating helper

Hi. I need some advice as i plan to terminate my helper and move back home. I wanted to tell her on the day before the departure (ask her to pack and leave immediately) as I have a toddler and a young baby, however, it is nearly impossible to pack our things and hide the fact from my helper. If i tell her much earlier, I am concern that she may slack in looking after my kids when I have errands to run. Any advice will be highly appreciated :)

Neha is offline Banned

legally u are suppose to give them a month's notice and tell her that u will give her the release on the day u want , that way she can look for a job also

we are doing the same with our helper

carang is offline Registered User

actually you have a choice, neha, you can:
    1) give her one month notice
    or
    2) pay them in lieu of the month

it is option #2 that the OP is hoping to do.

however, if you are terminating her due to your own relocation, there is no reason for her to be angry with you. she will still be able to stay in hk for 2 weeks to look for another employer.

if i were you, i'd tell her that you are relocating and as such need to terminate her employment. tell her that you will allow her to interview for other positions within the next month so long as it doesn't conflict with your schedule. let her go to interviews so long as it isn't too much of an inconvenience to you.

if you are not terminating her due to gross negligence and she's an ok helper, i think it only kind and fair to treat her with kindness and respect.

lukmoo likes this.

woodstock07 is offline Registered User

you can give her one month's notice and offer to provide reference for her - written or orally - if her performance continues to be good in the final month.

dimsum mum is offline Registered User

i would give her advance warning. she is going to be wanting you to provide her written and possibly telephone references...chances are very good she will work hard until you go.

1510 is offline Registered User

Thanks for the feedback. We plan to pay her a month in lieu. She mentioned on several occasions (to me and my mil) that she has no long term plan to stay in HK as she's tired of working overseas and she doesn't like the cold weather here. Hence, the reference from me doesn't have much value to her.

carang is offline Registered User

may not matter much now, but might still be useful in the future.

i would still tell her that you are planning on moving and giving her the month to work out. as you said, it will be impossible to hide the fact that you are preparing to move.

thundacatchergo is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by 1510 View Post
    Hi. I need some advice as i plan to terminate my helper and move back home. I wanted to tell her on the day before the departure (ask her to pack and leave immediately) as I have a toddler and a young baby, however, it is nearly impossible to pack our things and hide the fact from my helper. If i tell her much earlier, I am concern that she may slack in looking after my kids when I have errands to run. Any advice will be highly appreciated :)
    advice: dont be selfish. imagine if your employer terminated you and ask you to leave the apartment on the same day.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast