Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Cot... Cheap or expensive?

Gataloca is offline Registered User

Cot... Cheap or expensive?

I am just in week 15, so I haven't started buying anything. But I have been looking around.

For sure I'll need a cot, but I was just wondering if one should get a good (and probably expensive) one, or if a cheap and regular one would be just fine. At the end, what matter is the mattress, right? And probably the baby will be sleeping there for just.... 2 years?

I just saw one from IKEA, which seems to have a reasonable price (IKEA page 244)... It is not so pretty, but for sure the baby would not mind. We are short of space here in Hong Kong, so there will not be a cute and pretty baby room anyway.

Is there anything else that I should really look at when buying a cot, in addition to the price, and how pretty it is?

Neha is offline Banned
    It depends how long u want to use your cot and how much space u have ? We bought a big one which converts into a single bed and we can use it for a longer period and then we can use it as sofa.

aussie mum is offline Registered User
    i'm a big believer in cheap cot, expensive mattress!

Aava.Wong is offline Registered User
    i have a second-hand cot (including mattress) for sale. if interested, i can email pics.

karmah1 is offline Registered User
    Sydney, Australia (but would like to return to HK)
    agree with Aussie Mum, I bought a second hand cot but got a very good quality and expensive mattress. It will be only used for 2 years and as we don't plan on having anymore kids I didn't want to spend alot of money on it. I would rather spend money on the next bed as it will be used alot longer.

nicolejoy is offline Registered User
    I looked around at cots, saw a vast range and I felt that the price really didn't match the quality! I thought that the Chicco ones were way overprices but still very unstable. I ended up getting a 0/3 baby brand one from Apita in Tai koo which was on the cheap side - but it is very sturdy and functional. A mattress came with it, and it's good enough - I don't really think that at their weight it makes much difference anyway. I would definitely get a GOOD quality mattress once they're in a regular bed though. And there's no reason why it shouldn't last them until they leave home that way (unless my kids want to stick around until they're 30+!!)

Gataloca is offline Registered User
    I was thinking the same, but just wanted some reassurances from experienced moms. Thanks for everybody replies!

reei is offline Registered User
    O/3 cot is good. not necessarily must have expensive mattress, the one from seahorse, tailore made for baby cot is good enough.
    also, if you intend to sort of like 'attach' the cot to your bed,you may wanna consider a cot where you can safely dismantle one side and have the bed open side of the bed 'facing' your bed.
    you can do this with one of the O/3 cot.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast