Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Anything to prevent a flathead?

babyat23 is offline Registered User

Anything to prevent a flathead?

I'm 37 weeks now and I'm planning to put the LO in a moses basket in the beginning. Is there anything that I should buy to prevent flathead from happening?

Thank you for your advice.

carang is offline Registered User
    we never placed our kids completely flat, rather slightly on their side. one night one side, the next night the other side.

when i say side, i mean VERY slightly on their side.

i must say, that i think both of my kids have nicely shaped heads...lol!

i have a friend that adopted a 3 month baby boy in hk. because he was in the orphanage, he did receive as much attention as most newborns receive. when they brought him home his head was quite mis-shapen. but after going to the (osteopath?) and learning what "massage" techniques to perform every day, he now (almost 5 yrs old) has a nicely shaped head.

geomum is offline Registered User
    Agree with Cara, place your baby slightly on the side with support at the back. My daughter never wanted to sleep on her side until 10 months old, she used to be restless and uncomfortable if we tried to lay her down on her side. Infact she rolled for the first time at around the same time which most babies can do at 3 months or so. We did try Craniosacral therapy at the Bodygroup but it didnt help much at all. She is 22 months old and still has a flat head but its getting little better with time. God has blessed her with tonnes of hair so its hard to notice :) So in my opinion prevention is key here.

geomum is offline Registered User
    Also need to emphasize that babies born through C section have better shaped heads at birth than those born naturally. The infants head molds itself to pass through the birth canal and hence is slightly odd shaped right at birth so please don't freak out, it will get better as time goes on. I had a very difficult delivery so part of the reason for my daughter's head shape is that she had cephalohematoma for a few months and muscle stiffness in the right side of her body hence her resistance to sleep on the side.
    Good luck :)

tstmum is offline Registered User
    Also, start "tummy time" when the baby is a few weeks old (place baby on his/her tummy on the floor with a couple of toys within sight). Mine didn't like this much to start with, and would only last a short time (only a few seconds sometimes!), but they gradually got used to it as their muscles got stronger.

Shenzhennifer is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by geomum View Post
    Also need to emphasize that babies born through C section have better shaped heads at birth than those born naturally. The infants head molds itself to pass through the birth canal and hence is slightly odd shaped right at birth so please don't freak out, it will get better as time goes on.
    My son was a c-section and he had a CRAZY cone head when he came out, as he spent a bit of time locked in the birth canal. It went back to normal within a few weeks, if I`m not mistaken. He slept in a baby hammock which purportedly help with this potential flat head problem. It`s a good thing because he definitely favoured turning his head to one side.
    Moses baskets don`t seem to be as hard as cots, but along with the previous posters` advice, just keep switching the side your baby is sleeping on. You can do with with rolled up blankets, making sure the blankets do not go above your baby`s shoulders.

reei is offline Registered User
    my LO slept in the 'sarung' - sort of like a spring cot.. sleeping in the sarung.. dangling.