Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

baby weight loss

Lisainhk is offline Registered User

Unhappy baby weight loss

Hi I'm a new mum in Hong Kong from Australia and I have a 4.5 month old. I'm having heaps of trouble feeding him (exclusively breast fed). He cries after about 2 minutes drinking and spits up a fair bit. He lost 200grams in one week and now weighs 14pounds 5 ounces. Doctor said not to worry but she was in a hurry... I tried to feed him some formula but he wouldn't drink it (he doesn't like bottles). Any ideas on what to do?? He also doesn't sleep very well. Hardly at all during the day and wakes about 4 times during the night. I need my mum!!

kyojee is offline Registered User
    Hi... I hope bub is feeding better now, but in case things are not going well about the weight and spitting issue, I strongly suggest consulting another doctor!

TNT
    TNT is offline Banned
    Contact La Leche League (in Australia it is the Australian Breastfeeding Association) as they are fantastic help with breastfeeding. Without having more information there could be all sorts of reasons for weight loss, but if you look up their website lllhk.org there is a whole list of contact numbers and they are a great resource.
    The waking at night is very normal (and very hard going!) and may be unconnected to the weight loss, but if you can talk through the whole situation with someone experienced I am sure you can get some comfort and/or suggestions for helping. Also agree with pp about maybe finding another doctor, but I'd try LLL first. Good luck

Tini is offline Registered User
    Since when does your little one not feed properly? Is this a recent thing? It could be all sorts of things. Usually it's normal for babies to spit up after a feed if they are too full but it could be a sign that he is colicy and refuses to feed because it hurts his tummy. Do you burp him enough after each feed? Also try carrying him tummy down, bottom up on your arms that helps winding (forgot how you call this one).

To the weight loss. I remember from my son that at around 6 months his enormous weight gain suddenly stopped. That time I had to start him on formula and introduced baby porridge to him. But your little one is a little young for solids. I would also contact La Leche; I am sure they will be a big help to you.

Best of luck!

Lisainhk is offline Registered User
    Thanks for the replies everyone :) I took him back to the doctor and she diagnosed him with reflux. So we've been taking the medicine and he seems to be getting better!