Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

baby weight loss

Lisainhk is offline Registered User

Wow! Thanks for the replies! It's awesome to be able to get so much advice and to be taken seriosly! Thanks to everyone.
    LLL_Sarah: He has done this before about a month ago. I read the information back then about nursing strike and took him to the same doctor and it was recorded that he had not gained sufficient weight but she said not to worry. We gave him wind drops and nothing seemed to change. I think he got so hungry that he decided to eat again after 10 days of it. We moved back to HK when he was 1 month old so we are fairly settled in now. I don't work either so we spend a lot of time together.
    Leah: Nah he was a very sleepy baby in Aus. So sleepy that he had to have photo therapy because he couldn't wake to feed. The symptoms of reflux seem to fit him. Do you know the remedy??
    Shenzhennifer: He does seem to be in pain. He arches his back and cries until I sit him up and then he's better. I have no doubt that he is hungry. He wakes a lot in the night and is sleepy so seems to feed better then. I just feed him as much as possible at night so he can get something at least! He vomits a fair bit. Not just excess milk. And he is really agitated just before he spits up. Like he's in pain. I think I will be looking for a new doctor! BUmmer though coz I did like her. There was usually a massive wait to see her though even if you made an appointment.
    Mcdill: Thanks for the recommendation! I may give her a go.
    Sherwes: Thanks for the good vibes and vent offer haha! Much appreciated!
    Yonge: I haven't changed my diet much at all. In fact it's been better than usual.
    Margaret09: Would love to have coffee! Baylee would love a little play/dribble mate. I'm pretty sure the weight was recorded correctly. The nurse did it and I saw the scales myself and asked the doctor about it coz I noticed the weight loss. I don't think she would have picked up on it otherwise.

LeahH is offline Registered User

Wow - this sounds exactly like my daughter - arching of the back, not happy until they are upright, feed much better when they are sleepy in the night. The acid rises in their throats and is really painful - their esophagus is more relaxed when they are sleepy so they feed more comfortably. I actually got to the point where I fed her only when she was asleep!

My son had it also, but not so severe. There are things you can do to minimise the symptoms (feeding upright etc.) but ultimately medication is what worked for us. Your Paed will maybe prescribe Zantac or Prevacid. I was reticent to go the medication route, but the minute we got it - it was FANTASTIC - both babies were clearly so much more comfortable and began feeding without issue. Zantac tasted really vile, Prevacid was more annoying to prepare but I thought it was better.

aussie mum is offline Registered User

Dr thondup is brilliant at diagnosing and treating reflux.
    He is with veritas medical practice in central and also at repulse bay medical practice in repulse bay.

He can be very rushed but if you demand he listen to you he does and when it comes to reflux he really knows what he's talking about.
    If you decide to see him try to get one of the first apointments to minimise waiting

good luck.

Shenzhennifer is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by Lisainhk View Post
    He does seem to be in pain. He arches his back and cries until I sit him up and then he's better. I have no doubt that he is hungry. He wakes a lot in the night and is sleepy so seems to feed better then. I just feed him as much as possible at night so he can get something at least! He vomits a fair bit. Not just excess milk. And he is really agitated just before he spits up. Like he's in pain. I think I will be looking for a new doctor! BUmmer though coz I did like her. There was usually a massive wait to see her though even if you made an appointment.
    When I was a small baby, I had pyloric stenosis, nearly died in fact, because of many misdiagnoses and `don`t worries` to my mom. This is a bit rare, though very treatable problem(with surgery mind you), and more prevalent in boys. Totally not trying to scare you, and I don`t have any experience with `simple` reflux, but this is very easily diagnosed if the doctor is looking for it. For matters like this, I would go to a good public hospital (Princess Margaret for your part of town perhaps) who would have more experience with these things than cushy private hospitals. Weight loss is a serious thing for small babies. One of the most obvious symtpoms is projectile vomiting, which you didn`t say your son does, but you said he vomits quite a bit, so something is preventing his body from absorbing the milk. Best to find out what it is. I would get it checked out as soon as you can.

Lisainhk is offline Registered User

Thanks for the posts everyone!
    Well we went back to doctor and she finally said it may be reflux (he gained a bit of weight but not as much as he should and has dropped from being in 50th centile to 20th) and gave me zantex (no idea how to spell it). Think I will go to another doc because I told her about him only sleeping for 3 hours at night and then tossing and turning and waking up every 45 minutes til morning and having terrible naps during the day and she said 'oh ok'. ??!!!! He looks exhausted and is such a hassle to get him to even sleep for 45 minutes. Takes ages to get him to sleep. Maybe it's normal to sleep like that at 5 months??

Shenzhennifer is offline Registered User

Good idea to see another doctor.
    I know a woman whose baby was also gaining weight terribly, and also was fussy a lot. I just heard from my friend that her baby ended up having an operation last week to fix a valve in her stomach that prevented enough milk was being digested.
    Go with your gut.

LLL_Sarah is offline Registered User

I don't think that it is normal to "sleeping for 3 hours at night and then tossing and turning and waking up every 45 minutes til morning and having terrible naps during the day".But it is common in babies that suffer with bad reflux.

The medicine that the doctors give most of the babies I see is Zantac. It really seems to help in these bad cases.

Information about Zantac is available at Zantac infants dosage and side effects information from a pediatrician

Best wishes,
    SARAH

La Leche League Leader
    www.lllhk.org

LeahH is offline Registered User

Doesn't sound normal at all as Sarah says above - reflux caused us very troubled sleeping until the medication finally took effect. Give it 3 days to see if there is any change.

If Zantac doesn't work out for you (it tastes awful and I had a terrible job getting both mine to take it), there is another route called Prevacid. It's a bigger pain to prepare as it is a pill you dissolve, but tastes ok.

I would definitely try a different doctor.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast