Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

baby weight loss

Lisainhk is offline Registered User
    Yau Ma Tei

Unhappy baby weight loss

Hi I'm a new mum in Hong Kong from Australia and I have a 4.5 month old. I'm having heaps of trouble feeding him (exclusively breast fed). He cries after about 2 minutes drinking and spits up a fair bit. He lost 200grams in one week and now weighs 14pounds 5 ounces. Doctor said not to worry but she was in a hurry... I tried to feed him some formula but he wouldn't drink it (he doesn't like bottles). Any ideas on what to do?? He also doesn't sleep very well. Hardly at all during the day and wakes about 4 times during the night. I need my mum!!

LLL_Sarah is offline Registered User
    Hong Kong

Has this behaviour just started? If so it may be a sort of Nursing Strike.
    There is an article, My Baby Is Suddenly Refusing to Nurse. Does That Mean It's Time to Wean? at LLLI | FAQ on Nursing Strikes

There are also a number of mothers' stories from New Beginning, LLLI's magazine for mothers in the USA, about Nursing Strikes at LLLI | Nursing Strikes

Often this is the way that babies express the fact they are unhappy about something. Could it be that with the move to Hong Kong you've both been very busy and that the two of two are missing some relaxed special time together?

Best wishes,
    La Leche League Leader

LeahH is offline Registered User
    Hong Kong, Mid Levels
    Irrespective of whether she thought there was a problem, your doctor shouldn't have made you feel rushed.

Was this problem happening in Aus too? If it was, it could be reflux (unsettled sleeping, spitting up, weight loss), it became a problem with my daughter quite late around 3-4 months.

Also perhaps a lactation consultant / health visitor on the BF and sleeping side - Yvonne Heavyside is wonderful - 2530 1905, 9887235.

Shenzhennifer is offline Registered User
    Tsuen Wan
    Hi LisainHK, sorry you`re having such a tough time with your baby while you`re new in HK. No fun, no doubt. Was your son like this at all before, or just recently?
    A couple of things spring to mind:
    1- it`s not normal for your baby to be spitting up and crying after only a few minutes of drinking. Does it look like he`s in pain? I would definitely want to check out that part with a different doctor (the first was sounds awful and should be reported).
    2- It sounds as if the not being able to drink and spitting up problem is causing the not sleeping problem. He`s probably hungry, like all the time. Also, if you just moved here, he probably need some adjusting, but not that long since he`s still young. I would say he`s just hungry/frustrated with the feeding issue.
    Please go to a new doctor. your baby should not be losing that much weight in one week for nothing.
    Good luck and I hope you find out what`s happening with your baby.

mcdill is offline Registered User
    Yes, try a new doctor. It is always stressful when you notice your baby losing weight. Recommend Barbara Lam in Central for feeding issues.

sherwes is offline Registered User
    Hi Lisa, I would definitely recommend that you do a feed in front of a lactation consultant such as Yvonne Heavyside or one of the consultants at the Matilda Hospital. I had heaps of problems feeding my first baby and a private visit from a lactation consultant was my saviour.
    I know how difficult it is to move countries with a small baby so I am sending you lots of good vibes and hoping that you get this issue resolved soon. If you want to vent feel free to PM me....

yonge is offline Registered User
    Hong Kong
    Another thing you can do is get yourself registered at the nearest Maternal and Child Health Clinic, which is a public clinic where there are doctors and nurses, including some that specialize in nursing, to help give your child a quick look. I used to go there for nursing advice all the time with my first. You just need to bring proof of legal residency for you and your child (e.g., passport with a visa of more than six months will do) and get registered for something nominal - I think it was HK$1 5 years ago. Afterwards, there's a phone number that you can use to book an appointment, usually as early as the next day. The visits are free.

The other thing could be your diet. Have you been eaten more of something that you didn't used to eat much of back home - maybe garlic, chilli, etc.? That might bring on nursing strike that Sarah mentioned. Also, try not to be stressed, even when she's unhappy. She'll take her cues from you and will, hopefully, settle down.

Good luck. My toddler's awake. Gotta go!

Margaret09 is offline Registered User
    I'm sorry to hear about your baby's weight loss, that must be very stressful. I have recently arrived from the UK with a 4 month old boy. Although he never lost weight, we did have a period when he was a very fussy feeder, about a month ago, my health visitor advised that it may be stress related as I was busy with the move etc. She suggested to stop clock watching and give him some undivided attention for a few days. I don't know if it was a coincidence or not but it worked!

On the weigth issue, I'm assuming the previous weight was accurately recorded & that the recent weight was also accurately recorded (as the doctor sounded particularly rushed)

I saw a paeditrician this morning for a cough that Matthew has, a Dr Ken Chan & he was excellent.
    I hope that you your little boy settles & if you fancy a coffee at any stage let me know

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast