Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Do you think its weird that I name my son Oliver

Olivia.T is offline Registered User
    Hong Kong

Lightbulb Do you think its weird that I name my son Oliver

My husband and I really like the name "Oliver" . This is the name we have chosen for our little boy.But the thing is ,my name is "Olivia" Would it be weird if we name our son Oliver?

karmah1 is offline Registered User
    Sydney, Australia (but would like to return to HK)
    Not at all! The two names don't really sound similar when pronounced its more the spelling that looks the same. And anyway you will known as mum/mummy more than Olivia!

If its a name you and your husband have your hearts set on then forget about your name and go for it!

nicolejoy is offline Registered User
    North Point
    I think it's cute.

My friend's husband is Nathan, and they called their son Jonathan (just 2 letters in front of Nathan)... I also know an Alvina, her dad is Alvin. And a Jaimee (girl), the dad is James - it can make it extra special, like you're sharing a name, but it's not EXACTLY the same. I like that better than giving your child exactly the same name - but that's personal taste. Many people do that as well. I think it'd be "weirder" if you name your son Oliver and then name a younger daughter Olivia. But again, people do that as well, especially for twins etc...

carang is offline Registered User
    Sai Kung
    my name is CARA and i really liked the name KEIRA for my daughter, but in the end went with something completely different.

i used to teach a set of twins: ALVINA & LAVINA... that i thought was a little much, though.

Frenchy is offline Registered User
    Ap Lei Chau
    I think there is nothing weird and Oliver is a very cute name. I have personal thoughts about the "look alike" names, as my second given name is the same as my father (just with a "e" at the end), and it just happens that I hate this name. It was not given to me because my parents loved it, just because my mum wanted to please my father. Though, it's my second name and I don't use it. I've always thought that giving the same name as a parent to a kid takes off a little bit of his own personality, but again it's only when it's obvious the parents did it on purpose, not because they thought the name was nice (not sure I'm very clear there ;))...

starbucks2 is offline Registered User
    Hong Kong
    I don't see any problem with it either. Oliver is a lovely name. And he may get Ollie as a nickname anyway?

I am not a fan of naming the child the same as their father and adding junior after it but that is just my opinion.
    Last edited by starbucks2; 01-22-2010 at 07:56 PM.

Honkyblues is offline Registered User
    Personal opinion: I would find it a little odd. I know you're not deliberately naming your child after yourself, but if I was introduced to a family with the mother called Patricia and the son called Patrick (for example), I'd think it a little narcissistic of the mother. People make judgements and that is probably what would come to my mind.

I'm not trying to be rude or nasty. It's just everyone else is saying there's nothing odd about it. But some people (I admit to being one of them) will definitely find it a little strange.

That said, if you really love the name, ignore other people's (negative) opinions and go for it. Or use Oliver as a middle name, perhaps?

No offence intended. ;-)

reei is offline Registered User
    Hung Hom

sounds good

what's wrong with that? my friend's twin sons, are tom and jerry..
    well the twins chose the english names themselves.. brother likes the name tom and mum just ask the younger one, would you like jerry? and yes..
    so their english names are tom and jerry.. i think that's cool..

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast