Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Early scan availability

AmyH is offline Registered User
    Gold Coast
    I had my pregnancy confirmed by a GP with a home pregnancy test kit, and when I had my appointment with Dr. Doo, he just performed an untrasound to confirm pregnancy also so I never had the blood tests.

carang is offline Registered User
    Sai Kung
    i never had blood tests with either of my pregnancies.

Frenchy is offline Registered User
    Ap Lei Chau
    I did have blood tests, but also because a past of recurrent miscarriages. For the scan, I got the first internal one a 7 weeks if I remember well....

chasiu75 is offline Registered User

Ultrasounds harm the baby.

Ultrasounds cause miscarriages. Why would you want to get one? How is looking at the baby going to prevent a miscarriage? How will it change the outcome? The answer is it will not and only can do harm. Do the research on ultrasounds. It is not "just sound waves" as doctors like to say. Did you know that the original researchers of ultrasound said not to use it on anyone under three years old? And that was on much less powerful machines way back when.

coco1 is offline Registered User
    Congratulations! Some info below- hopefully helpful
    1. Tests for pregnancy:
    Both blood tests and urine tests check for b HCG (a chemical usually made only in pregnancy).
    Most home urine tests are extremely sensitive and GPs use them to confirm pregnancy in the UK.
    The blood test is also acurate. It checks the same chemical so there is little advantage to routinely using a blood sample over a urine sample. The blood test does give a number for the amount of b HCG (rather than just a "positive" or "negative" response), so can help check levels are increasing as expected. This is rarely needed, but sometimes used if early miscarriage or ectopic pregnancy is suspected.
    2. Scans
    A vaginal ultrasound scan can often detect a pregnancy very early (maybe at 5 weeks). You don't want to do it too early (certainly not before 6 weeks- maybe even wait a week or 2 beyond this if possible) because you risk not seeing anything and getting worried.
    An abdominal ultrasound (scan on the tummy) may take a few extra weeks to be able to see the heartbeat because the pelvic bones get in the way!
    As with the person who previously commented, some people have expressed concern about the safety of ultrasound in pregnancy. This has been studied a great deal and the medical establishment is confident ultrasound is not harmful and should continue to be used when needed in pregnancy. Some of the evidence is here: Obstetric ultrasound -- a comprehensive guide to ultrasound scans in pregnancy

newbiekt is offline Registered User
    The doctor might well want to do a blood test to check your HCG hormone levels and also your progesterone levels. It's worth asking about this, as some doctors think that early miscarriages can be due to low progesterone and will give you pessaries to increase the level. (It's unproven but certainly does not do any harm.) They would do this regularly if you had got pregnant through fertility treatment for example. I had these pessaries in my first pregnancy as I had already had two miscarriages.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12