Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Long haul flight - children's seatbelts?

NNN
    NNN is offline Registered User

Long haul flight - children's seatbelts?

Hi

I'm traveling for the first time to the UK with my very squirmy 2 year old and I'm starting to panic about keeping him safe in his seat.

I need some recommendations for a safety harness to use in business class please. I've had a look online, there are a few options but I don't know where to start.

Thank you

LeahH is offline Registered User
    Safe Airplane Travel for Kids - CARES Child Aviation Restraint System | Kids Fly Safe - CARES | Kids Fly Safe - this is the one that some people I know have.

On our two longhaul last year we didn't use anything - however we are toying with the idea of bringing actual car seats with us when we fly to Europe this summer (one will be 3, one 1.52 yrs). This is the safest option and most comfortable in terms of sleeping for them, but it is a bit of a logistical nightmare carrying them around as we have connections.

Portia is offline Registered User
    I'm not sure what airline you are flying, but if it is CX, then check out this link: Cathay Pacific - Helping You Travel : Special Assistance > Infants, Children & Minors You cannot use CARES on CX business class nor in the new Economy class seat on CX Airbuses or 777-300.

NNN
    Thanks LeahH and Portia

I had a look online at the CARES system online, but the strapping on that attaches to the back of the seat doesn't appear to fit around a large seat/recliner.

I'm traveling Thai Air this time, then in July Swiss Air. I did think about taking a car seat, but for the return leg from the UK it's just me and my son, and the thought of lugging a car seat as well as hand luggage isn't too appealing.

Hubby is ringing the airline today to find out a bit more.

shoni is offline Registered User
    Choose night flights and take a portable DVD player and a selection of toys and snacks. Get them to walk around with you whilst everyone is still up and about and if they wake up when everyone else is asleep. It is not the most pleasurable experience in the world but it does pass. Don't expect to get any sleep yourself. I have never used a restraint system other than that given by the crew, I let my LO lay as flat as possible during the flight so that she sleeps as much as possible.

Sleuth is offline Registered User
    We have both the CARES and a Sit-n-Stroll. It is becoming harder and harder to use the things on airlines. Cathay is just about impossible. Someone at Cathay has decided an infant is safer in a lap with one of the infant seat belts than strapped in a seat designed for airplanes (Sit-n-Stroll). Curiously, you can use the Sit-n-Stroll during the flight, just not at take-off nor landing. Sometimess we are allowed to keep the sit-n-stroll in the seat, sometimes we have to give it up until after take-off.
    Be glad when we are beyond this stage of travel....

NNN
    Thanks for that, I'll look into the SitnStroll. There ought to be one universal set of procedures for all airlines; never going to happen but the thought is rather nice.

I'm sure that most of my angst stems from the thought of having to arrive and transfer to a Manchester flight at Heathrow - groan!

starbucks2 is offline Registered User
    If you are interested in a Sit n' Stroll, we are selling our one. We LOVED it for travelling. It is a carseat with wheels that pop out at the bottom and a handle that pulls up at the back so it turns into a stroller. Send me a PM if you are interested.

SB2
    Last edited by starbucks2; 01-25-2010 at 07:45 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast