Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Vitamins or not?

kip1 is offline Registered User
    When do you normally start taking pre natal vitamins? I have read that people normally take folic acid when trying to get pregnant. We are going to start trying in the next few months so just wondering if there's anything I should be taking or begin thinking about taking? Any type/ brand etc particularly recommended? Thanks!

Shenzhennifer is offline Registered User
    When I got pregnant the first time (later miscarried) my doctor prescribed me folic acid and a B vitamin (can`t remember which one, maybe 12) to help with morning sickness. After tha prescription finished I started taking pre-natal vitamins. When I was pregnant with my son, I just started taking pre-natals myself right away.

nicolejoy is offline Registered User
    I always heard/read that you should start taking prenatal vitamins if you're trying to conceive so I took Materna even before I was pregnant. I took it all through pregnancy, breastfeeding and now into my 2nd pregnancy. I've been taking it continually for something like 3 years now!!

I don't think it REALLY matters though as long as you're getting the folic acid - that's the main important thing. Actually some foods (usually breads and cereals) are supplemented with folic acid as well - so depending on your diet, it's probably possible to just get it from your diet. Although I think with folic acid, it's better to have too much than not enough, so I'd take the supplements regardless of what my diet was!!

Gataloca is offline Registered User
    I have been taking prenatal vit since TTC. Usually I don't care about the brand. I am taking actually one that is from CVS (a big pot with 300 pills). Also tried the prenatal from other US pharmacies, like Rite Aid, and also from Centrum. Usually I ask friends or relatives that are traveling from US to HK to get me some. It is much cheaper buying those on the US than here in HK.

bigbook is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by Gataloca View Post
    It is much cheaper buying those on the US than here in HK.
    yes! It is amazing to me how much cheaper they are over there.

We buy online from Vitamin Shoppe.

babyat23 is offline Registered User
    When I went for my 12 weeks scan my DR asked me if I was taking prenatal vitamins. I told her I started doing so even earlier on and she approved. 1000 mcg is not too much folic acid, as your body won't be able to absorb everything.

I got this from the Materna website:

When should a woman start taking a prenatal multivitamin?
    A woman should start taking a prenatal multivitamin at least 12 weeks prior to conception - when she is trying to conceive or planning a pregnancy.

I mean it is not necessary to use the brand Materna...there are alot of good brands out there...but you should buy them online alot cheaper.

I get my supply from WebVitamins.com - Natural Products. Healthy Savings. even incl the shipping it's still cheaper than the shops here.

kip1 is offline Registered User
    I have Folic Acid, which I think is 1000mg but is this enough or should it be a multi vitamin? I am only in the 'planning to conceive in the next few months' stage so I guess I don't need to worry too much but can't hurt to be prepared!

starbucks2 is offline Registered User
    My obstetrician prescribed me Materna

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast