Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

scheduling ultrasounds

NDDomer is offline Registered User

scheduling ultrasounds

Hi! I am 14-weeks pregnant and my doctor (private clinic)recommends an ultrasound every 4 weeks during the second trimester (basically that is at every prenatal care visit). So far I am enjoying a healthy pregnancy w no medical concerns at all. I have heard other helath care providers (private) schedule an ultrasound only every 6 weeks, and in the public system, it seems like they don't schedule an ultrasound at each prenatal care visit. Thoughts? is it really that necessary to have so many ultrasounds (every 4 weeks)? what are your experiences like? Thanx!

AmyH is offline Registered User

When I visited my OB I had a scan every four weeks. In my situation, my previous child was born quite prematurely so it was a relief to me every four weeks to see her doing well and in no signs of stress.

In the public system in the UK and in Hong Kong you only have two scans, one at 12 weeks and one at 20 weeks so that would suggest to me that it is not necessary and if you feel that you do not want one, maybe sprak to your doctor about just checking heart beat with doppler when you visit.

Good luck with your pregnancy.

mscheerful is offline Registered User

IT is not necessary but i had it every 4 weeks because i want to 'see' my little one in me. In fact, i look forward to every prenatal visit so i can see how he is getting on, how big he is right now and every part of it.

my husband's work is something to do with U/S machine so he told me it will not harm me or the fetus at all. he is the one requested to have U/S each visit :)

geomum is offline Registered User

Agree with mscheerful on everything. The U/S is such a special moment between my baby and me.

prone_to_wander is offline Registered User

I only did my 20 week ultrasound. I don't want anymore, so unless there is a problem, I would only do 1. It sounds like your dr. is making money from you. I think that many is unnecessary.

Gataloca is offline Registered User

Usually at private clinics they will do an ultrasound on each appointment (they do that cause they charge you for that). And really, some people (specially those that had miscarriage before) really look forward to seeing the little one and making sure everything is fine.

As for public hospital I don't know how many scans you get, but so far I got 1 at week 8 (because I insisted, due to my previous molar pregnancy). They were going to schedule a OSCAR test for me, but I ended getting it on a private clinic at week 13. On my last visit at week 15 we just heard the baby heart beat with a doppler, but we are having an full scan on my next appointment at week 20.

Shenzhennifer is offline Registered User

Your private doctor gets a LOT more money from giving you ultrasounds. Aside from that, it`s completely medically unnecessary, unless you have some pre-existing condition that you omitted. My private ob-gyn in China didn`t even recommend ultrasounds each month.
    In the public system, as well as in Canada (where I am from), they give you the bare minimum (about 3 I think).
    I had more because I wanted to see my little baby and I was also anxious during my pregnancy due to a previous miscarriage. I don`t believe it harms the baby, but many people think it does.
    Since it`s a private doctor, you are in charge, as it`s you with the wallet. Follow your desire and common sense.

NDDomer is offline Registered User

Thank you so much, guys! y'all are so helpful! :)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast