Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Not sleeping

Panda2010 is offline Registered User

Not sleeping

Hi All

I'm less than 10 weeks pregnant and i'm just not sleeping. I am tossing and turning all night and I just can't seem to get comfortable. I think that I am averaging about 3 hours a night.

I'm knackered and struggling to get through the day at work.

Any suggestions? Anyone going through the same thing?

Thanks

Gataloca is offline Registered User

I had that problem sometime around week 5 or 6. I couldn't sleep well, and at work I felt really tired.

I don't have much suggestions, other than try to cut your caffeine intake (if you haven't done so), and you can always try to take a warm bath or shower and hour before bed, or drinking some warm milk.

About being tired at work, try to catch some cat nap during lunch hour.

evelyne is offline Registered User

Hi there,

I slept mostly ok during pregnancy but then was hardly able to sleep at all for the first week after birth which was really awful.

Do you know what it is that is keeping you up? Is it stress, excitement or anxiety? If so you could try yoga. That helped me a lot. It's a good thing to be going when you are pregnant anyways and also in early motherhood.

Also, sometimes focusing on sleep does not work. It's better to focus on relaxation- then sleep will come. So that can mean reading, doing yoga, meditating, or any other type of relaxation exercise that works for you.

Good luck - will be wishing you to sleep ;-)

LeahH is offline Registered User

I had the exact same problem and it has sadly continued well past the birth of both my kids.

While in my last trimester, my doctor gave me sleeping pills to take one or two days out of 7 so I could at least get one good night of sleep - she decided that on balance, the exhaustion was doing more damage than potential effect of any sleeping pill.

This is unlikely to be an option for you so early on, but I would speak to your OBGYN for advice anyway.

At the moment I use a self hynosis recording at night which is very relaxing and does help somewhat. You can get these off the internet.

Also tart cherry juice concentrate (from a specific kind of cherry called montmerency) is excellent. There are several different brands, you used to be able to get in 360 but not sure now. When people come to see me from NZ, Aus or Nth America I get them to bring me bottles over.

for where you are now in your pregnancy, maybe try the hynosis, some gentle stretching / prenatal excercises to ensure you are physically tired, massage (Sutherland Chan are amazing) and eating some carbs in the evening.

Hope that helps, I really feel for you - it is a difficult problem to deal with.

Shenzhennifer is offline Registered User

It`s those blasted hormones... I also had that problem during pregnancy for one reason or another. But in the first trimester hormones are the culprit (plus of course any excitement or anxiety about being newly pregnant).
    Yoga, breathing, meditation, warm milk, soft music...
    At the very least, your body will still be resting somewhat while you`re in bed even if your mind is awake.

NDDomer is offline Registered User

I started having the same probem in my 13-week (which was last week ), and when i can actually fall asleep, i keep having various types of dreams..NON STOP . anyway . I find soft music / the radio (tuning the volume really low) could help me falling asleep.

tstmum is offline Registered User

I too had insomnia in my first trimester and again from about 32 weeks onwards when just too enormous to get comfortable. I think it's nature's way of preparing you for the sleepless nights after baby's born...

Though I did find on days that I got a bit more gentle exercise (eg, walking, pilates) I slept better at night.

Gataloca is offline Registered User

Also try changing environment. For example when I cannot fall asleep at bed after an hours or so, I go to my living room and lay on the sofa. For some reason, I can fall asleep more easily on the sofa.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast