Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

C-Section and the Union Hospital

Tini is offline Registered User

C-Section and the Union Hospital

Hi there,
    I am new to HK, just moved here October last year. I am 28weeks pregnant now and it's my 3rd pregancy. With the two former births I had both times an emergency c-section in UK. I tried for a VBAC 2nd time but due to slow labour and distressed baby it was decided apon a repeat c-section. Now this time I will probs not come around a 3rd c-section.

I am currently at the Union Hospital in the NT. I am in Dr. Lo's obstetric care. Does anybody know him and/ or the Union Hospital? Even though I have had 2 sections so far and although both times were a very good experience I am very nervous about getting cut open, in a different country with a different system. How was your experience of a c-section in HK? Is it a common procedure here?

Dr. Lo adviced me immediately to do another c-section, a planned c-section. Yet I don't want to decide on a date, I want to wait till the baby is ready by itself to come. I know that there is a possiblity of uterine rupture but the percentage is still pretty low, around 2-3%. And I believe that if I was in the proper care then a VBAC shouldn't be a problem but costs would go up for this birth I suppose.

I just don't know what to do. Any advice is most welcome :)

Gataloca is offline Registered User
    Hi. I don't really know, as this is my first one (or the first one that have made it this far), but just wanted to say "Welcome to Hong Kong"!.

By the way, I am on week 16, and also planning to deliver in Union Hospital. I would like to have a normal delivery instead of c-section if I can.... Is there any reason why your doctor advised you to go to a c-section directly?

Shatinbaby is offline Registered User
    Just wondered if you wanted to meet up at some point? I live in Shatin am due in October with my first and am yet to meet anyone this side who is having baby this year.

Kind regards and good luck Shatinbaby

Shatinbaby is offline Registered User
    I am also booked in to have my first in Union in Oct and want naturaL. I have been quoted by my consultant $40K for the delivery and she keeps puching me in the direction or a caeser. I think it sounds like a lot. If you have found a nice OBGYN who favours natural would you please let me know. Also, do you fancy meeting up? Trying to find new mums and mums to be in my area and struggling!

X

pme23 is offline Registered User
    Hi there, I had an elective C Section at Union with Dr Yau last October. It was my first baby and I wanted a planned C section for a number of reasons, one being that I was based in China and didn't want to have my baby there. My doctor was great. I have since had my doctors in NZ say what a wonderful job he did and how good the scar looks. I will definitely have my next baby at Union. Although, if you want to breastfeed you might need to get a private room and a private nurse for the first couple of nights to help you. Otherwise they keep the baby in the nursery which makes it hard for demand feeding.