Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Baby refuses to feed outside

premama is offline Registered User

Baby refuses to feed outside

Hi,

I'm breastfeeding my 3 month old and am having real problems feeding outside - he just starts crying and refuses to feed even though he is hungry. Initially I thought it was the nursing cover he didn't like, so I resorted to only feeding in toilets/feeding rooms in malls without the cover, but now he doesn't even like feeding in those places. Sometimes he would just get distracted and babble, sometimes he just cries - but he just won't feed for very long.

Has anyone else experienced this and if so, how did you overcome this problem?

Thanks!

Shenzhennifer is offline Registered User
    My son did this too! However he was a bit older (4-5 months I think) and I think it was because he got SUPER DISTRACTED with being out in public and in a new place, plus he hated having his head covered. It was really hard and as the months went on, eventually I stopped feeding him in public and he self weaned completely by his first birthday.
    The only thing that worked for me was standing up and walking around in the nursing room a bit so he was relaxed enough to latch on, and then pray that he would get a good feed in.
    Sorry to not be of much help. But I know how frustrating it is. Like all things, it`s a phase, and will lead to something, hopefully easier for you.

premama is offline Registered User
    Thank you Shenzhennifer for your comments. I think my baby is the same as yours, he is really distracted when he's outdoors. It seems like I'll just have to avoid bringing him out for now or find somewhere super quiet outdoors (near to impossible in HK!)....hope this phase will pass real soon!

Shenzhennifer is offline Registered User
    Some of the feeding rooms are just private and you can lock them. So maybe once your baby gets used to the room and relaxes, he can feed. Outdoors might be hard.
    It was a downward spiral for us, however, your baby is a bit younger so maybe he is just going through a little phase. Good luck~