Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Home remodeling... yes or no?

Gataloca is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by Shenzhennifer View Post
    Tell your parents your doctor recommended that you do all your renovating before the baby comes:)
    Oh, this is a good one, lol!
    I am currently 16 weeks pregnant. EDD July 10th 2010. We should be able to really start looking into this by March 1st, when the renovation stores open after Chinese New Year Holiday. That leaves us like 4 months, before baby arrives.... unless he or she decides to arrive earlier.

louisouis is offline Registered User
    As a Singaporean, who had received western education and lived inthe U.K. for many years and had been brought up with a mixture of chinese and western influences. I will still choose to wait simply because it will be YOU who will have to answer to their never-ending questions after the birth. You may have a western rational but the older generation and the majority of Chinese relatives do not. Of course the more rational side of you will think that it is superstition but you will have to deal with whatever is around you. Just as we should not go around imposing our personal cultural values on others, many older folks cannot help it simply because they only want you and the baby to be safe. And since Asian cultures believe more in the 'good of the family' rather than the 'individual', if you can do other arrangements it will be good to wait. Perhaps you may even end up moving to a different apartment after the baby is born!
    It will be very stressful when they keep blaming tiny details on the mother when you have just given birth, feel insecure due to post baby hormones andstuck in the house due to confinement.
    I am sure your parents will not be too harsh on you, it will be the relatives wagging their fingers. Of course if you are strong, you can simply ignore them and think that it is all rubbish but frankly speaking, after giving birth all I want is peace and quiet and some time to rest, and I must confess, due to the hormones I was extremely gullible and insecure, if anyone blamed anything about the baby on me, i would have believed them.

louisouis is offline Registered User
    By the way you are very lucky to have your parents to come and stay, I was lucky enough to have my mum. Because you know what, you are their little girl, they are here to take care of you even though they may let you think that they are only here for the baby. It was during my confinement that I realised how much my parents loved me.

Gataloca is offline Registered User
    Yes...... My aunt (my dad's older sister) kind of insinuated that I had my miscarriage at week 7, 3 years ago because of my cat... "Cats are bad!..they jump around, and may step on your belly and harm the baby... You have to get rid of your cats!".... crazy!

My dad also keeps saying that I should get rid of the cats because of the baby. Their idea of pets is that they are just some disposable items.

carang is offline Registered User
    hmmm.... we board dogs in our home and on occasion have 20 of them, plus 3 rabbits... pets are WONDERFUL to have when you have kids. my two kids ADORE them!

Shenzhennifer is offline Registered User
    Actually I avoided cats like the plague while I was pregnant. What is it called, toxioplasmosis? Cats carry it and you can transmit it to your unborn baby. Normally I love cats but was too paranoid during my pregnancy:)

carang is offline Registered User
    you can only get that from handling their litter tray, though... as far as i know.

Frenchy is offline Registered User
    You are right, only from the litter, but the risks are lower if your cats stay at home. Just let that job to your husband... Actually you can also get it from the soil, plants or vegetables which could have got dirty by some fecal matter.
    You can also have a blood test and check if you are immunised. There are many chances you are already if you have cats for a long time.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast