Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

5-month old baby does not want to drink milk

juniechan is offline Registered User

5-month old baby does not want to drink milk

Everytime we feed her, she will cry and sometimes we need to carry her around while feeding her. We are not sure why but she never really like to drink milk even when she was younger. We know she is hungry, but sometimes she will only drink 2 oz. She is much better at the night and will drink 6oz at the 7 pm and 10pm feed. What should I do? Has anyone experience this before? I am thinking about feeding her solid since she is very interested in food. Thanks

Shenzhennifer is offline Registered User
    I used to have to carry my baby to feed around that time too (breastfeeding).
    I have a couple of friends though, whose babies don`t like milk so much. It`s pretty hard for them.
    Unfortunately milk is still so important for them. I think that if you choose to try solids, your baby might like it and then you can make up the cereal with breast or powdered milk to make up for the stuff she isn`t drinking. Keep in mind though, that at the beginning, babies don`t eat enough to replace milk - they still need the same amount, just if you add it to the food, it will ease your mind a bit.

woodstock07 is offline Registered User
    Are you using a bottle? My baby had this problem starting around 4.5 months where he will have a little milk (1 or 2oz) from the bottle and then totally refuse the rest. Changing the feeding position, moving round helps. Also, I found that if I fed him during his naps, he usually takes everything. But I'm not if this will become a bad habit. At 6 months, he's not as bad but his largest feed is still the dream feed at 10pm where he will take 6oz and sometimes wanting more.

juniechan is offline Registered User
    Thanks, woodstock07. I am in the same situation. It has been happening for awhile now. The problem for me is that she will not drink milk when she sleeps. She rather goes to sleep hungry and then feed her when she wakes up. Iam trying different bottles now as well.... what a headache!

mcdill is offline Registered User
    Perhaps she is also teething? Sucking the bottle may make the gums feel more uncomfortable.
    Try feeding some to her in a syringe/spoon/cup if you are worried about her getting dehydrated.

Obiwan is offline Registered User
    Going through the same. She just turned 5 months, and used to finish 6 ounces with little problem (albeit a bit slow). These 2 days, on most feeds, she will take 2 - 3 ounces and won't have any more. We'll try to feed her, and she will arch her body, turn her head and even start crying. But as soon as we stop, she is all well and smiling again. So, other than reduced intake, she is chattering a lot, and sometimes a little fussy for no reason.

Teething you reckon?

mcdill is offline Registered User
    Obiwan, does your baby also bite a lot, have swollen gums, and lots of drooling - these are some of the signs of teething.

Obiwan is offline Registered User
    Drooling - yes, for the past month or two. Not sure about swollen gum. She likes to suck on her finger now and thrust her tongue out, not sure if there is more biting ....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast