Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Amniocentesis - Dr Patrick Chan?

nicolejoy is offline Registered User

Amniocentesis - Dr Patrick Chan?

Hey all,

I'm currently pregnant with my 2nd baby (third pregnancy, I just had a miscarriage about 6 months ago) and had a bad result from the oscar test. Based on that, we want to do an amnio to confirm whether or not there are problems with the baby. However I'm so scared at the possibility of losing another baby. Regardless of what we find, we won't abort - but I do think that it's better to know in advance so you can prepare yourself and all...

I've been researching amnios, and the generally quoted miscarriage rate is about 1 in 200 - however that is meant to be based on studies from 20-30 years ago and today's rate is meant to be more like 1 in 1600 (much more acceptable!!). But the rate is meant to vary from doctor to doctor as well.

I guess my main question is, has anyone had an amnio done with Dr Chan? How did you find him? I'm considering the possibility of going to Dr Lam at the HK prenatal diagnostic clinic instead, just for the test - I went to him for a couple of ultrasounds when I was pregnant with my daughter and while I don't think he's as good for a doctor to see throughout the pregnancy, maybe he's better for amnios??

My first pregnancy was completely problem free, no morning sickness, no problems with the baby, nothing to worry about at all. My 2nd pregnancy, we lost the baby around 6 weeks or so. This one is completely different - even harder. I want to make the "right" decision but there's no black and white. I think that the amnio is the best thing to do but I don't know what to do with that slight possibility that things go wrong.

Any help/advice/etc?

Suv
    Suv is offline Registered User

Nicolejoy, I am sorry to hear that you would need an amnio. It is so stressful. I have no way of comparing but I went to Dr. Lam for my amnio this time since my Ob recommended his office. He gave us the same statistics of 1:200. Whatever time we were with him- I would agree with you re: pregnancy but he was really good with the amnio. Very focused, careful and quick. It was over before I knew it- we were looking at the monitor the whole time. I wish you the best. I am sure everything would turn out to be fine.

Gataloca is offline Registered User

Sorry to hear that you got a bad result on the OSCAR test. Should be very stressful. When I did it, I wasn't sure what I should do if anything goes wrong.

But since you have made a decision about keeping the baby, I think it would be better to skip the amnio test. Although the result is more accurate than the one from the OSCAR test, it is still a "probability". Heard cases of people with a bad result on the test delivering a healthy baby. And even for people with good result, there is still a change of developing a baby with the syndrome (chance of having a molar pregnancy was just 1 in 1000, and I got that).

My point is that, if you have made your mind, there is no point risking your current pregnancy doing the amnio test. Just prepare for the worse, and you will be prepare for whatever outcome your have.

Good luck, and hope your baby is a healthy one.

nicolejoy is offline Registered User

I think I'm more "unsure" about the amnio but my husband is more wanting it. Our risk was 1 in 7 - which is pretty high! But that's still 85% that everything is ok...

I do think that there are benefits in knowing, even if you don't choose to terminate. For one, we'll be able to prepare ourselves, research potential special needs etc... Two, we'll be able to look into the specific medical needs associated with any conditions and the doctors will be aware even before the baby is born...

I do know that there are risks and I want to do all that I can to minimise them - whether I go to a different doc for the test, or if anyone's had any experience with Dr Chan for this test, I'd love to hear their experience...

I'm not looking for someone to tell me whether or not we should get the amnio (although I do appreciate your opinion) - I have to kind of block that out in order to make this decision for me and my family.

I know people who would not terminate who have chosen not to have an amnio for that reason, and I respect that. I know other people who would not terminate who HAVE had amnios because they felt like the information gained was worth the small risk. I don't think that there's a "right" and "wrong" - either way it's a hard decision. And who's to say what's harder, facing the risk of miscarrying because of a choice you made? Or living with the uncertainty of it all for the next 6 months until the baby is born? Either way it's a hard decision - and other people I've known have chosen not to even have the OSCAR because they didn't want to make that decision...

Frenchy is offline Registered User

Hi Nicolejoy,
    I've had bad results also for my first pregnancy, and being over 37, the doctor proposed an amnio. Though, on screen, all the other measurements were good (neck, nose, quantity of amnio liquid...), and I also had another blood test around week 20 to measure the pregnancy hormone levels. It shouldn't be too high as it can also be a sign of something wrong.
    I decided not to do the amnio because all the results were good, but on all because a past of miscarriages...
    I understand your request, but before considering an amnio, have you had other bad results ?

Frenchy is offline Registered User

Sorry, just checked, the blood test was at week 16, not 20...

Lav
    Lav is offline Registered User

So sorry you are going through this. I have not heard much about Dr. Patrick Chan but can tell you that Dr. Lam is one of the best doctors out there to perform Amnios. Hope everything turns out ok for you.