Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Baby cries at the beginning of/during a feed

premama is offline Registered User

Baby cries at the beginning of/during a feed

Hi,

My 3 1/2 month old has started to cry at the beginning of feeds and sometimes during the feed, especially in the morning. Sometimes he would cry as soon as I position him for a feed. He cries and refuses to feed, even though it's his usual feeding time and he shows signs of being hungry (salivating, putting fingers in his mouth). I've tried to burp him but even after he burps, he continues to cry.

I usually give up as I can't force him to feed (he stops crying as soon as I stop trying to feed him) and try again 30 minutes or 1 hour later, at which point he does feed and usually falls asleep as he is feeding.

Has anyone else experienced something similar? Does it just mean he's not hungry at the point in time?

Thanks.

Suv
    Suv is offline Registered User
    Perhaps you have an oversupply and the quantity/ force of the milk is too much? You could pump a little bit out before a feed and see how it goes.

My son would keep coming off the breast and bawling every time he would try to suck and someone on this forum pointed the oversupply issue. Also you could ask SarahLLL.

LLL_Sarah is offline Registered User
    Dear Premama,

It sounds like your baby may be bothered by the fast flow first thing in the morning. Positions where he is on top and in control may help. Try a lending back or a laid back position where the baby is on top. See the attached photo.

Another thing you can try is to start with the baby vertically between your breasts and let him move down towards your nipples. All babies can manage to find the breast and latch by themselves - especially when you are in a laid back position.

If he isn't keen to feed when you try these positions it would generally mean that he doesn't want any milk at that moment. But as you've already found just because he doesn't drink it now doesn't mean he won't half an hour later.

If you try this and it doesn't work or don't think this is the problem please call me on 2548-7636 as speaking with you on the telephone it is often easier for me to understand the situation.

Best wishes,
    SARAH
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Laid-back.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	70.7 KB 
ID:	567  
    La Leche League Leader
    www.lllhk.org

premama is offline Registered User
    Thank you Suv and Sarah. I have tried changing positions and he seems to settle down a little when I stand up/walk while I feed or when I'm lying down. Sometimes, he will just cry whatever position I try so I just give up thinking he's not hungry - actually, I think he may have started associating feeding with sleeping so he cries because he's tired or he doesn't want to sleep.