Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

twins delivery in Queen Mary

penelope is offline Registered User

twins delivery in Queen Mary

My twins are due early June and I will be delivering in QM as I did with my first.

I know I can t elect to have a C-section in QM but I m wondering will it be easier to "request" one because I m expecting twins.

Does anybody know what is Queen Mary prefered method for delivering twins?

I haven t registered with them yet, trying to delay it as long as I can.

Thanks

reei is offline Registered User
    quote from my friend who delivered twin baby girls in QM on Jan 2009

-doctor did ask her whether she wants normal delivery or c-section. her pregnancy is quite stable at 37 weeks, no complication , nothing. but doctor did tell her that normal delivery is good for her, recovery is faster and c-section comes with risk so on and so forth. but the final decision is up to the patient.

MommyTo3 is offline Registered User
    Hi,
    My singleton and twins were all born vaginally (and in the States), so I cannot comment on QMH, but twins are not a reason for c-section. First of all, your due date is still quite far and a lot of things can happen. My girl was head down, my boy breech (and born by breech extraction). I would do it again in a heart beat. Recovery was very smooth and vaginal deliveries are a good way to go in a lot of circumstances. I am sure if your doctor thinks otherwise because of medical complications, issues, and/or position, he'll schedule one, but at this point there is no reason to simply book a c-section. However, I've met very few people here in HK who had their twins vaginally (in HK), but the ones that did were born at QMH. I would just keep your options open, read about vaginal deliveries with twins and let nature runs it course.

Mine weren't small either, close to 8lbs a piece, and had no problems delivering them.

And don't forget to join Mothers of Multiples (Hong Kong Mothers of Multiples Organization (MOMs) - for Mothers of Twins, Triplets & more.).

Good luck with your pregnancy!

Thanks for your replies

I delivered my first vaginally at queen mary and didn t like the experience at all.
    I had to wait 6 hours before I was given an epidural wich was taken away from me in the end as my pushing wasn t efficient at all. I had an episiotomy wich got infected .I was in pain for a month so for me the natural process wasn' t such a great experience and I didn' t recover quickly.

I know the risks of C-section but at the moment I m just scared of going through the same experience once again.

geomum is offline Registered User
    I had a similar/ horrid experience at QM and swore never to go back.
    The risks of being in the care of inexperienced/ negligent/ indifferent doctors/ nurses is worse than any kind of risk C section would carry. (Not saying all doctors/ nurses at QM are like that, but in my case they were).
    Recovering from an 3rd degree infected episiotomy is no better than from a C- section.
    Go for C section or private (If possible) at least the pain/ discomfort would be after the birth not during and after. You would be more prepared and relaxed.

thanks geomum...

dimsum mum is offline Registered User
    hi penelope
    i think being pregnant with multiples automatically qualifies you as high risk, and so the dr will discuss with you the probability of caesarean, because they will want to ensure they can always monitor the second baby's heartrate. when delivering vaginally, there is the risk if one baby's heartrate drops.

congratulations on your multiples and as a PP suggested, you might want to contact the mums of multiples here in HK. they're a great resource!

lesliefu is offline Registered User
    i have a friend who just had twins (she's a doctor herself) and she said that there was no question about having a c-section because there are so many unknowns in a vaginal (particularly when dealing with 2...she did say that had she had 1 she would have definitely opted for the vaginal due to faster recovery), but she the unknowns such as how long the first one would come out, and if this would affect baby no.2 was something she didn't want to risk...

congrats! :)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast