Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Rib pain at week 17

Gataloca is offline Registered User

Rib pain at week 17

I am starting to have pain on my ribs, on both sides, although it is worse on the right side. I am still 22 weeks away from due date... Will I have to suffer this for the remaining 22 weeks????

Anyone else experienced this? Any suggestions??? I don't want to rely on pain killer either....

yonge is offline Registered User
    Have you been gaining weight very quickly? The pain might be a result of the "pulling" of the skin, which I had for my first. For my second, I had gone on a diabetic diet after getting diagnosed with gestational diabetes, which really helped to minimize the weight gain, so I had no pain at the ribs nor stretch marks! You could also try wearing a maternity belt to help hold up the baby. Good luck!

No, I haven't been gaining lot of weight (I think..). I started weighting since week 10, and have been having a constant gain of 0.2 kg per week. I don't feel pulling on my skin. I have been applying enough moisturizer, and I don't feel the skin itchy... so I guess, my skin is doing OK so far.

At first I thought I slept bad, and got bruised or something.. but the skin look good.. no bruises, but just feel the area sore.

Frenchy is offline Registered User
    It also happened during my first pregnancy... don't know if it's because of the organs moving, the uterus growing, the body changing... but it didn't last all the time and disappeared right after the delivery. Maybe you can try, when you get some rest, to find a position to release your ribs (put a cushion under your back, it also helps for the lungs). Do you sleep with a maternity cushion ? I have one of the soft, long and curved ones, it's really great as it helps your back to be straight.
    Good luck !

thanka2 is offline Registered User
    I had horrible rib pain from the time I was about about 4 months (16 weeks) pregnant until I was about 6-7 months (24-28 weeks) pregnant. It was really painful! I think it was because my ribcage is pretty narrow normally and that area was being pushed out and stretched as my internal organs were being literally shoved up in there. Actually, there was nothing I could really do except learn to do some deep breathing and go through the pain. I didn't even bother to take pain killers. It went away once that area stretched out.

Tini is offline Registered User
    I had rib pain in my second pregnancy but so far I don't feel anything; I am 30 weeks along. During pregnancy your diaphragm is expanding to make space for the growing uterus. But it could also be heart burn that you are feeling there. Try to keep up fluids and only take small and light meals at a time. What I think always helps is a glass of milk, yoghurt or just some dry bread to suck up the excess stomach acid.

Otherwise I don't think there is much you can do.

Shenzhennifer is offline Registered User
    Ah, now I remember that feeling. Yes, it`s not the nicest, is it? I can`t remember if it lasted all the way through, but I suspect not since it would have been more in my mind.
    I`m pretty sure it`s all your inside bits getting a bit squished and moved around the accomodate for your baby`s growth, which is starting to get to a good size(yay!). Since you`re not gaining rapidly or a lot, I`m sure it will even itself out soon. But I would still mention it to your ob/gyn at your next visit.

Yes.. this is not nice... It gets worse when I have to be seated for long time... I read that it was more common during the 3rd trimester, but I guess for some it may start earlier :-(

I'll try to do some yoga exercises.. hopefully this will help a little bit.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast