Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Rooming-In and I need some advice

nicolejoy is offline Registered User
    I know for me personally, rooming in and breastfeeding soon after birth are important to me. I would only ever give birth at Matilda (if I could justify paying out of pocket) or going to the public hospitals. It's "funny" but the public hospitals seem to be much better about rooming in and breastfeeding straight after birth - although they may not have the best lactation consultants. I had my daughter at QMH and the only "issue" is that she had to be in the Special Care ward for the first 12-15 hrs... but even there, I told them not to bottle feed her and I was able to breastfeed. They did give her one bottle though because the nurse happened to tell them AFTER they already fed her a bottle. But other than that, they were mostly pretty good about it... definitely better about rooming in and breastfeeding than MOST of the private hospitals here!! I've booked at Pamela Youde for my second, I've heard good things about it so far and I'm looking forward to it, even more so than Queen Mary.

beckveldman is offline Registered User
    I had my second child by caesarean at Matilda (first child born overseas), and found it excellent in terms of breastfeeding friendly policies. Baby was given to me straight after delivery for an extended period (maybe half an hour?) of skin to skin contact while we were still in surgery (i.e. before she was "cleaned up" a little, not bathed) and when it was gently suggested to me that she could go to be wiped down a little, my husband was encouraged to go along. We would all have met up again in my room a mere 10 minutes later, and then I was immediately assisted (needed a bit of help as still hard to move from epidural!) to have a first very long (about one hour) breastfeed.

If you want to room in 24/7 with your baby, policy at Matilda is you must have a private room. Then it is totally up to you how long the baby is with you. The midwives are excellent in terms of practical breastfeeding support. The first night I did avail myself of letting the midwife take my daughter to the Nursery after a feed in the middle of the night (I had complications with the epidural so required some extra care myself), but the process of deciding that and laying down parameters I was happy with (i.e. please bring her back as soon as she wakes, or no longer than 4 hours, and absolutely no formula or water) was carefully agreed on by both the midwife and I and she followed it to the letter.

So I would say Matilda is completely different in that respect to the stunningly old hospital practices described! Matilda don't advocate at all getting in the way of initiating breastfeeding (and no bottles!)

By the way, I am also totally appalled at the OB commenting on bottle feeding the baby! He needs to be told in no uncertain terms that actually the postnatal baby treatment is absolutely none of his business or responsibility. It is the paediatrician who consults from birth. I would strongly advocate letting him know where his boundaries of care lie. Problem is, for a c-section you will need a paed in attendance, and most OBs team up with a paed they work with frequently - chances are his paediatric counterpart thinks the same way he does. But you have the right to choose your own paediatrician and arrange them to attend. It takes more coordination on your part, but it is possible.

I did exactly this myself, as I was very keen to have a non-interventionist paed - no bottle where possible! - and I knew I would deliver an early and slightly smaller baby, so realised that would freak most HK paeds into the "better supplment" mode. I researched, chose a paed and visited him while in my third trimester to discuss the background to my first child (very prem) and what was happening with the current pregnancy. We agreed on parameters, he agreed to support my strong desire to exclusive BF (it is his usual preference) and I agreed that of course if baby was a little too early or too small we would go to various steps accordingly. Highly recommend selecting and visiting your own paed if you are worried. Mine was delighted that I had taken the time to consult him in advance.

Hope that helps, best of luck.

barbwong_130 is offline Registered User
    Matilda Hospital allows 24 hour rooming-in in all their categories of rooms from their VIP rooms to their third class rooms.

As far as I'm aware this is the only private hospital in Hong Kong that allows this.

All the public hospitals allow (in fact encourage) rooming-in.

If I were to have another baby here and couldn't afford the Matilda prices I would go public rather than a private hospital which wouldn't let me be with my baby.

carang is offline Registered User
    i delivered 2 children at QMH and had no problem with rooming-in, even in the public ward.

as a matter of fact, after my first, i agreed for them to take the baby to the nursery (about 15 feet from my bed) for a few hours but found that i slept so poorly because everytime a baby cried i was afraid it was mine that very quickly i decided to keep the baby next to me at all times.

kaikosmom is offline Registered User
    Hi, Cara. How did you manage rooming-in with your baby after a c-section? I am scheduled for c-section on 17 Feb. at United Christian and would love to hear your experience re:rooming-in. I would like to breastfeed my baby, too. Thanks!

Gataloca is offline Registered User
    Hi Kaikosmom. I have been attending the antenatal classes at United Christian, and on last class they were talking about the process of delivery. I know they encourage breastfeeding and bounding with the baby from the first minute it is born. Haven't said anything about rooming-in though.

I would love to hear your experience later. My EDD is July 10th, and I may end up in United Christian also.

Shenzhennifer is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by kaikosmom View Post
    Hi Cara, How did you manage rooming-in with your baby after a c-section? I am scheduled for c-section on 17 Feb. at United Christian and would love to hear your experience re:rooming-in. I would like to breastfeed my baby, too. Thanks!
    I`d like to know too, bc I found it hard. Aside from the fact that (in China) I couldn`t even touch my baby for 6 hours afterwards, when I could finally hold him and breastfeed him (after they already fed him with a bottle to my severe disappointment), that was pretty much all I could do, as I couldn`t get up from my bed. I actually had my husband there with me around the clock, but I guess he was kinda shell shocked from the whole experience and didn`t know how to deal with a screaming baby or even how to change diapers yet. We let our baby stay in the nursery for the first night because we were helpless (me at least physically), but after that he stayed in our (private) room 24/7.

carang is offline Registered User
    i was at a public hospital. the only time i couldn't room in was with my second. she was in the special care unit for 24 hrs and i couldn't do it then. but when she was sent "downstairs" to the regular nursery, i just asked for her to be with me. if i couldn't lift her, i rang the "call" button for the nurse.

my second baby, was delivered under general anathesia (i was totally asleep), as such i didn't see her for that 24 hrs. my first, though, i saw a few times. i had SEVERE complications, so for the first 12 hours i only saw him a little. after the "danger" had passed for me, i had him beside me the entire time.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast