Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Rooming-In and I need some advice

Tini is offline Registered User
    Hi girls,
    thanks sooo much for all your input! I went to see a different doctor today to get all my questions and concerns cleared. If I stay at Union she said I can room-in with the baby if I get myself a private room, which will come up to $90k in my case. If I take a twin room than I will have to "opperate" according to the hospitals schedule. She said private hospitals in Hong Kong usually stick to their regulations. I feel much more comfortable with her now, but the deposit I paid at Union was for my current OB, which I may loose completely now, plus the $10k. It's so complicated here in HK...jeez!
    But maybe if that's the case I might get into another hospital which I can't at this moment with my spot at UH. She said all hospitals are full. Well, I will have to give birth and I will need a c-section. Giving birth can be so stressful, which it actually shouldn't be.

Gataloca is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by Tini View Post
    I live in Tai Wai, and I was told that Union is a good hospital but after having met my OB 3 times now I don't feel comfortable with him. He started an argument yesterday with me when I told him that I don't want my baby to be bottlefed after birth. He asked me if I want my baby to starve (?). No, of course I don't want my baby to starve but it's not neccessary to bottlefeed. They also don't encourage to latch on the baby right after birth. Funny, moms in Europe and North America are encouraged to latch the baby on as soon as possible. And he tells me that HK has the lowest rate of feotal mortality in the whole world. I really wonder whether UH does any research on bonding, breastfeeding, etc. I can't imagine having a wonderful experience at UH.
    Tini, can I know who your doctor is? I am currently planning on delivering on UH also. I am with Yu Kai Man. He seems to be nice, and even my husband felt very comfortable with him. We haven't spoken about the delivering procedure yet though.

Tini is offline Registered User
    @Gataloca

I was with Dr. Lo Wing Kit, he is the Director of the Gynecology Department. I find him too arrogant and is wasn't very supportive in my wishes, so I transferred doctors. I go to a lady doctor now who got her clinic outside UH yet she still operates at UH. She will also be doing the surgery.

If you are happy with your doctor then stay with him. If he supports you and you feel comfortable with him that's good.

Shenzhennifer is offline Registered User
    I saw Dr. Ng at Union a few times. He did my big 20 week scan. I really really liked him and would have loved for him to deliver me if I ended up at Union. He has a really nice manner and he seemed genuinely interested and even excited to be looking at my little 20 week old baby in my tummy.

freddiebiscuit is offline Registered User
    kaikosmom,

I had a c-section at United Christian 2 years ago (breech baby) and was very impressed with the level of care I received. I breastfed my baby as soon as I could after the operation (I think it was around 3 hours after) and was insistent on having the baby room in with me. The nurses were great at getting my daughter out of the cot for me and helping to get her latched on, even though they were very busy. It was difficult to breastfeed, as I was in a lot of pain and didn't get out of bed until the day after my surgery. It was very important for me to breastfeed our daughter, so I was stubborn enough to stick with it, in spite of the pain.

I had trouble breastfeeding and asked for lots of help and received it. We even had a lactation consultant come to help us while she was on her rounds with some nursing students.

Although I had a good exerience at UCH, I did feel pressure to feed formula to my baby. Stick to what YOU want and insist on it - it's your baby not the hospitals!

Good luck on the 17th!

kaikosmom is offline Registered User
    Thanks, freddiebiscuit and Cara! Very encouraging posts.
    I will be admitted on the 16th and surgery on the 17th (2nd c-section [6.5 years gap], 1st time in HK).

Gataloca, I will share my experience as soon as I can.

I've had positive experience with the public system from the registration at the maternal clinic (TKO) to the antenatal care at UCH.

I hope and pray for a healthy baby, complication-free delivery and quick and easy recovery.

kaikosmom is offline Registered User
    Hello ladies!

As mentioned above, I was admitted on the 16th and had c-section on the 17th. Overall, I had a very positive birth experience with the system at United Christian Hospital. The post-natal nursing care was excellent although the delivery was not without hitch.

Let me share my experience:

I was wheeled to the operating theatre (~8:30am) alone by choice while my husband waits outside. The anesthetist tried but failed to administer spinal block anesthesia (after 6 tries) as I was still able to lift both my legs after the procedure. So I was given general anesthesia instead (gas). The baby was born at 9:33am. My husband was able to take photos and videos of the baby before being sent to the nursery.

I was transferred to the post-natal ward before lunch. I was in a lot of pain as the regional anesthesia did not work and intra-muscular pain relief is contraindicated with breast feeding. The nurses asked me if I still wanted to BF my baby, I said yes despite the pain. They helped me BF my baby with me lying on my side. This was done every 3~4 hours until the 12th hour (9:30pm) when I was allowed to stand up. A staff wheeled and helped me to the toilet with bidet to teach me how to clean off lochia and change into pyjamas. I was wheeled back to the ward and rested for a few hours before someone woke me up to ask me to go to the nursery to BF my baby. The nurses there will evaluate your BF technique and teach you if necessary. They then asked me if I would like to have my son room-in with me in the morning, and of course I said yes. Being with the baby, somehow, makes you feel like a superwoman! The pain seems to disappear. The whole day, starting at around 8am after breakfast, the baby was with me except during bathing at 2pm. To allow us some rest and sleep (if only you agree), the baby is taken to the nursery at 9pm and back to the ward at 12am. After BFing you take him back to the nursery and process is repeated at 4am. I welcome this routine as the nursery’s temperature is better controlled and allow the baby to sleep better at night and I also feel well rested in the morning.

We were discharged on 22 Feb. It should have been earlier but my baby was jaundiced and needed photo therapy. We paid 700 HKD!

Gataloca is offline Registered User
    Congratulations and thanks for sharing your experience! How are you and your baby doing now?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast