Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bringing helper to Canada on holidays with us?

csj
    csj is offline Registered User

Bringing helper to Canada on holidays with us?

Hello,
    We just hired a helper (first time ever) but we're planning to go back to Canada for a couple of month this summer.
    We're not sure what to do with our helper for during that time.
    Has anyone had experience in bringing their helper to Canada for holidays with you ? If yes, what are the requirements/procedures to do so ? How long does it take ? Do we have to follow the local regulation as well while we're there (salary, etc.) ?
    I've been on the Canadian Consulate website but did not find any related information.
    Thanks for your help!

Portia is offline Registered User
    Here's the info you need - see page 5 of the document: http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca...fs/trv-app.pdf. Will come back and answer your other questions later as I have to see to my little one right now!

I've brought our helper with us to Canada on 3 of our trips to Canada. The procedure is not difficult. Once the paperwork is correct, it takes a day to process the visa. It might take a while to collect together all the information that you need though. If the above link above does not work, you need to get the document "Application procedures for temporary resident visa (20091112)" which is on the Canadian Consulate Hong Kong website under "Visiting Canada" as it lists out all the documents that you need to submit and the requirements you must meet. You submit the visa application and passport in the morning and go collect the visa in the afternoon. You do not need to follow local laws re minimum Canadian pay if granted a visa.

csj
    Wonderful! Thanks a lot for all these informations Portia !!

carang is offline Registered User
    we just told the cdn immig that our helper was on holiday, too... not working. of course, if she offered to babysit while i was there i wasn't going to say "no" ;)

csj
    Carang: haha, I was thinking of doing the same with my helper initially but Philippines passport holders still in a visa to get to Canada, and we'll be going for at least 2 months so we still cannot really fool the Canadian administration !

There's no need to tell Cdn Consulate that your helper is "holidaying" with you. The HK office get hundreds of these applications every year and are used to them. In fact, if you see the link that I sent you it says that helpers can accompany their employers for visits of less than 6 months and so long as they are only performing their usual duties. I provided a supporting letter confirming our dates of travel and that our helper would only be carrying out her usual baby care duties.

carang is offline Registered User
    we went for a month....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast