Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

How to negotiate with doctors?

woodstock07 is offline Registered User
    I think it's difficult to negotiate prices. What I did to control costs was to ask for the reason and price for every test done during the pregnancy. I did avoid a few blood tests which I felt were unnecessary.

geomum is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by rani View Post
    They charge people differently if you're in a private or ward, and they're doing exactly the same job! Isn't that unfair?

The first Dr I saw, said he would charge me $20K for a natural delivery. He quoted another mum in my baby group $30K ( he knew she was 100% covered through her husband's work.)
    About the ward vs private room its the level of service and environment you pay for not the doctor's services.
    How many years ago did you see this doctor? And if he was charging people differently you had every reason to go to the Consumer Council and complain.

Aava.Wong is offline Registered User
    maybe the $30K depended on the delivery procedure or on the level of risk. i do not think that the doctor would quote differently like that.

rani is offline Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Aava.Wong View Post
    maybe the $30K depended on the delivery procedure or on the level of risk. i do not think that the doctor would quote differently like that.
    we both were quoted for a normal delivery

southside852 is offline Registered User
    I've never heard of negotiating with doctors! If you don't like what they are charging, don't go. We always ask for a general quote before seeing new doctors.

matemate is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by geomum View Post
    About the ward vs private room its the level of service and environment you pay for not the doctor's services.
    this is my point: i already pay more for the room at the hospital, which is where i get the higher service and better environment from.

i have yet to understand what service the doctor provides more or in addition that i would not get in the ward. i have no practical experience, but i tend to think that the doctors job is exactly the same private vs ward.
    it's the nurses, food, environment that is different and for that one pays a higher price for the room.

or am i missing something?

carang is offline Registered User
    not missing anything, but i think this is a world-wide practice for private hospitals and not limited to HK.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12