Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

How to deal with noisy neighbours ?

BabyG is offline Registered User
    I used to hear a lot of that "noisy ball" sound at my previous place. I later found out that my neighbour's kids were playing with golf balls!

Tini is offline Registered User
    That's just so annoying having noisy neighbours; we got them too. Piano all day and till 00:30 occassionally. That directly above my sons rooms. Luckily it doesn't bother him. The washing machine runs every day, all day long! Not that you hear the machine itself but the water pumping you hear. And they go to bed really late 1-3am! Then they usually take a bath or so, lots of loud splashing right above our bedroom. First time, and only time so far we told the concierge about it. Since then the night baths got better. But if it gets too noisy we complain with the management office. I wouldn't deal with it myself unless you really know them, otherwise that's what the MO is for.

manya_feb is offline Registered User
    Hi, i think that rolling thing is luggage wheel sound which they might drag at night time to take clothes out or something that i can assume. One flight attendent use to live just abov my flat and use to come late for which i complaint too with the management.

Yea, there are pple like tht...at 1.00 clock in the morning hah!!!

prone_to_wander is offline Registered User
    I think getting management involved right off the bat is a little heavy-handed.

I would talk to them about their noise levels personally as a courtesy. You know...be neighborly. They might not realize the sound is reverberating in your apartment.

When our upstairs neighbour let us know that our drilling was happening during their baby's nap time, we would just double check with them before we drilled.

I think it is better to try and sort things out between ourselves and assume most people are lovely and kind. Assuming that our neighbours are terrible people who have no regard for our well-being robs us of the opportunity to create community and it makes the world seem so much more awful.

My 2 cents.

carang is offline Registered User
    we had a neighbour once who blasted opera at 2am... it drove me crazy. at one point, i did get up and march upstairs. the reply, "TOO BAD!"

as for the "ball sound".... that seems to be a very common complaint. i wonder if there is more to it? i had the same problem. to me, it sounded like someone was coming home and dropping all of their loose change onto the floor. wonder if it's pipes or something because it is one of the most common complaints there is?

monte is offline Registered User
    Well, having been the "noisy neighbor" I would have to say that I would go to the neighbor first before getting management involved. Of course, we didn't think we were being noisy, our child doesn't cry much and isn't loud or rowdy at all. But he does like to push furniture around, and we honestly didn't know how loud that was for the people downstairs. We were annoyed, frankly, to get a knock on the door from the management, and though we immediately put felt on the bottom of the chairs to minimize noise, we did so grudgingly. If they had just come up in a friendly way and let us know, we would have felt differently about it.

thanka2 is offline Registered User
    I wouldn't bother confronting them directly as that probably won't do any good. Do what most people in HK do that live in an apartment building, complain to the management/security people--that's actually their job--to maintain peace and order in the apartment building. In this way you can remain somewhat anonymous (because they wouldn't know if a neighbor on the same floor complained as well). So, get your money's worth (you do pay a management fee to pay the security/management of the building, right?) and have them handle it. If you complain and the problem still remains, just keep complaining--eventually something should be done. Here in HK, people don't deal with their neighbors, generally (a lot of people don't even know the people in their apartment building after living there for a decade or more--for example my in-laws). So, it's actually not really your jurisdiction to go handle it by yourself--that could create more problems than its worth.

thanka2 is offline Registered User
    BTW, there is a cat toy that has a tail on it that is battery operated that rolls around on the floor-meant for a cat to chase. I think they are quite popular as toys in HK because my in-laws' neighbor gave one to them for my son when he was a bit smaller. That thing can and will roll all over the floor, all day long if its turned on. It's kinda fun to watch so that might be the rolling sound you're hearing. I am SOOOOO glad I don't live underneath anyone in an apartment complex. I'd have my broom stick and would be pounding on the ceiling all the time--that's how we handled it when we lived in Mainland China.

This is exactly what the cat toy looks like:
    http://addins.kwwl.com/blogs/cubbiet...eature-003.jpg

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast