Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

How to deal with noisy neighbours ?

thanka2 is offline Registered User
    Oh, and to the people who think it might be common courtesy to go tell the neighbors yourself--I think that all depends on how well you know the neighbors and if they aren't Western or you aren't Western, how well you speak their language. It might be utter confusion if you go up there to talk to them about something only to realize that you can't communicate with them. You run the risk of insulting them as maybe you don't understand the right or polite way to tell them. It's better to let someone who is in authority be the middle person--that is how I see things. In HK, it seems that things have their order and the same social graces that might apply in your home country aren't the way things are done here. That's just my experience.

csj
    csj is offline Registered User
    Thanks for all your replies and the links. I'm really surprised to learn that the 'cannon ball' noise is so common here as I thought drilling the walls at 1am was more popular!
    I think I will go to the management office and complain so they send a notice to all residents because I'm sure we're not the only ones in this situation --and yes, the management fees should serve their purpose!
    If things don't change after that, then I will go upstairs to talk to them and perhaps hopefully find out what that cannon ball sound is, which I would let you all know if I finally do find out !

phoenixashburn is offline Registered User
    oh my...this is my story exactly...the canon ball noise..the drilling..the hammering all of it... WHAT are they doing???? we've been living with it for 7 months now since we moved here...we've complained to the management office numerous times...i even went to the extent of calling the management officials home at 12 at night just so they would hear exactly how loud it really is and we're not just being fussy...they've gone upstairs and tried to tell them to keep it down - but no luck. I know they have kids and I have one too so I completely understand about the noises during the day but for the rest;;...??? the management finally told us that they're very uncouth and we could call the police if it gets too loud. I went upstairs for the umpteenth time and told them that..and it has been better since...
    sorry for the long post but I feel so relieved knowing there are other people too..

rani is offline Administrator
    You can lodge a complaint online with the Police. Here's the link

https://secure1.info.gov.hk/police/e...laintNoise.htm

gladyswly is offline Registered User
    I heard that the ball sound is caused by the water hammering effect from the pipes. It's louder at night because it's quieter and less people are using water so less outlets to buffer the effect.

csj
    csj is offline Registered User
    Thanks Rani for the links. I just finished reading through the other thread on Geoexpat... very interesting indeed : it seems that there is no ideal solution really regardless of with whom you are dealing with (management, neighbour, police). I also think that lodging a complaint with the police will be my very last resort.

Gladyswly: thanks for your suggestion but I don't think it's the pipes above our place: the water pipes are confined to the kitchen and bathroom sink areas and the ball sound is really all over the appartment's 'living' floor (living room, bedrooms, kitchen).

hk-phooey is offline Registered User

Noisy neighbours.

Just looking for advice on this. We've moved into an apartment and unfortunately the noise coming from the apartment is starting to drive us mad. I know that it's hard to ask someone to modify their routines but we are getting woken up every morning by the sound of heavy footsteps, things being dropped, furniture being dragged and the kid running from room to room. To cap it all off the neigbour likes to wear shoes around the apartment before leaving to go to work so you get the clip-clopping of heels for 15-20 minutes while they're getting ready, the icing on the cake though is being woken up by the ohming, presumably before/after they've been mediating or doing yoga.

We've spoken to our landlord about the possibility of adding some soundproofing but we need to cost it out. Does any have any experience of having this done and can recommend any companies ? I know that it'll be unrealistic to expect total elimination of the noise but we want to at least muffle it so that when things are dropped and they're stomping around, the noise is muffled. Any recommendations will be gratefully received.

Gataloca is offline Registered User
    Probably just play some soothing music in your apartment....

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast