Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Weaning...

FutureHKmom is offline Registered User
    So I shortened last night's feed and this mornings feed....resulting in me being pretty full this afternoon. So I just hand expressed some out until I was comfortable. My question is if I continue to shorten the two feeds I give a day - at night and in the morning - won't I always end up being full in the afternoon and need to hand express? Or will one day magically the supply just drop so much that I won't be full anymore? Thanks again for any advice and tips!

nicolejoy is offline Registered User
    Your supply will drop - as long as you're not hand expressing too much!! I never really "shortened" feeds though because I never supplemented with bottles... All the best for pain-free weaning!!

Aava.Wong is offline Registered User
    when you are shortening feeds and hand expressing just to feel comfy then your supply will decrease s...l..o..w..l...y! patience my dear.

FutureHKmom is offline Registered User
    Thanks girls for your replies....

nicolejoy - when you dropped one meal a day, the first time you did it weren't you really full in the 24 period between the feeds on each day as you had dropped a feed in between? That's what I was afraid of, if I dropped the morning feed altogether, I would be busting by mid-afternoon - I work, so I would be in the office. I just thought that by limiting the time of each feed, at least I continue to take a bit out at the regular times and it wouldn't be so sudden that I drop an entire feed.

Thanks again!

nicolejoy is offline Registered User
    I dropped a feed every 2 weeks or so... when my daughter was 11 months, she was still on about 4 feeds a day. I think by 12 months it was 3 feeds, by 13 months it was just one feed, and at 14 months she was weaned completely. I never was full during that process (however I did have that feeling when she was younger if she would oversleep particularly first thing in the morning so I know what it's like!!)

I think if you have a set time frame that you want to wean him by, choose an approach and stick to it - whether you prefer going to one feed a day or just two shorter feeds - your supply WILL decrease if you're feeding him less... But if you're more flexible in your time frame, you can experiment a bit and see what works for you. The goal is just to decrease, decrease slowly (however you want to do it) - in a way that works for you...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12