Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

8-month-old hates milk - whatcanIdo?

OX Jess is offline Registered User

8-month-old hates milk - whatcanIdo?

My son (8 months) refuses milk completely. He has started to grow some dislike in milk since he was 4 months old but he was still willing to take one full bottle in the morning and one at night, and sometimes half bottle in the afternoon. But since he's reached 7 months, he 'hates' milk. Not only does he refuse to drink any milk from the bottle, he even refuses to eat cereal powder mixed with milk (he is willing to take the cereal powder mixed in water though!!) This situation has been lasted for more than a month now and is not getting any better. At the beginning I thought it is just a teething problem (he has no teeth yet!) and the low-appetite would go away after a week or so but it is pretty clear that he is not suffering poor appetite as he eats other stuff! He just hates milk. I have changed the formular brand but no better.

He likes solids and he feeds pretty well on it (rice porridge, sweet potatoe, fish, veggies, fruits, you name it) But he just doesn't want milk! He is only 8 months so can any mum tell me if I should just let him 'wean' from milk and don't worry about it? But my GP told me that an 8-month-old baby should still heavily rely on the nutrition given in milk. As he doesn't drink milk, I feed him one cube of cheese every morning, which I hope can provide him with some calcium and some other stuff found in diary.

So as my son doesn't take milk, what can I feed him to replace those nutrition provided in milk? And, has any mum faced the same problem before? Thanks.

mcdill is offline Registered User

OX_Jess, did the doctor say how much milk he is supposed to be having?
    I heard yoghurt is high in calcium.

plumtree is offline Registered User

Hi Ox_jess, if he likes cheese, maybe give him more of that? FYI, my son went through a phase like that at a similar age where it was hard to get him to drink milk. Once he turned one, and could have cow milk, it got better, and now at 2, he asks for a couple of large cups of milk a day. What I mean to say is that sometimes they go through phases like that.
    Maybe try getting a little milk powder from a friend (i.e. another brand) to see if that makes a difference?

Good luck!

jvn
    jvn is offline Registered User

Hi Ox_jess

Apparently my brother was the same and my mum always made lots of foods which incorporate milk in the recipe which should be good if he's liking his solids.

Macaroni or cauliflower cheese
    Custard
    White sauce on all his veggies
    Rice pudding

Shout if you need recipes - I still love all those things as I grew up on them by default.

Oranges also have lots of calcium if he likes those?

southside852 is offline Registered User

i think many babies are like yours - you are not alone! if he's not taking milk, then feed the foods (like the moms above suggested) that are high in calcium. he should be getting most of his vitamins from the food he is being weaned anyways rather than through his liquid intake.