Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

5 years old should go to P1 or K3?

bighead_cat is offline Registered User

5 years old should go to P1 or K3?

Hi,

We are going to move to HK from London in June. We are going to live in Discovery Bay. My son is 5 years old. I've heard that it's very difficult to get into DBIS, therefore we are applying for Discovery College. We haven't heard from the school yet. I am looking for a backup plan.

Apparently in HK's system, 5 years old should go to K3. There are two kindergartens in DB, can I send him to a kindergarten while he is waiting for a place in primary school. Can he starts P2 when he turn 6? I asked because it seems all the schools require previous education records, have assessment process. Will it affect my son's chance to get in primary school if he is attending kindergarten?

Any advice? Many thanks!

kiwiinoz is offline Registered User
    In the ESF system, if your child is already 5, he would be P1. (Children born in 2004) My daughter is 5 (turns 6 in Oct) and is 1/2 way through her P1 year.
    He would start P2 in late August. I am not sure how that translates to Discovery College, but I hope it helps.

Good luck with your move!

Bess is offline Registered User
    Discovery College is within the ESF system and DBIS is the same, you start school (year 1, P1, K3 all equivalent) the year you turn 5, like kiwiinoz said.

There are large waiting lists for both schools, however look into the DBIS premium development levy that can 'fast track' your entry to the school ie you go to the top of the waiting list. Currently HK$300k, non refundable. Maybe your employer may help you out. (We applied to DBIS last May when we moved to HK, and we were told that we are currently 120 on the waiting list for current Y1, like many kids, my DD travels out of DB to go to school).

You could send him DMK for the rest of the school year, which will also help getting assessments etc

good luck with the to HK and DB.

0ze_Kid is offline Registered User
    Agree with PP. The waitlists are l-o-n-g. I too have a 2004 child but she is doing K3 at DMK (it is a P1 equiv. program so a child does not fall behind when they get a place) as we did not get a place in DBIS or ESF (or the Discovery College PIS which had a longer list than the others). If she does not get a place by September (beginning of P2 for ESF or start of P1 if she got into DBIS) then I have to home school!

You may want to look at the following schools which are close/have school buses from DB:
    * Lantau International School (LIS Homepage)
    * Renaissance College (I have heard they have a bus from DB)

I have also heard that a Montessori pre-school is opening up which will have a program for up to 6 year olds. It will be up in the new plaza from April. If my investigations are accurate they will update the following soon. visit: Little Montessorian

I have also seen children from Harbour School (they had places for my DD last Sept but we were not in a position to take one).

Tung Chung also has a few primary schools which is just a bus trip away. I do not know anything about them but may consider visiting myself in July!
    * Ching Chung Hau Po Woon Primary School
    * Po On Commercial Association Wan Ho Kan Primary School
    * Tung Chung Public School.
    * The Salvation Army Lam Butt Chung Memorial School
    * HKFEW Wong Cho Bau School
    * Tung Chung Catholic School
    * Ling Liang Church Sau Tak Primary School
    * Ho Yu Primary School Sponsored by Sik Sik Yuen.

Good luck with it and a preemptive 'welcome' :)

carang is offline Registered User
    there is also a YM(W)CA school in tung chung, that i would have considered if i still lived in DB... don't know the full name of it though, sorry!

bighead_cat is offline Registered User
    Thank you for all replies! It confirms my worries of not being to get in any primary school in DB. What is the standard like in K3 in DMK? It's only half day right? I will also look into Lantau International School in Tong Fuk. Do you know of anybody going to that school. Their website is very simple. Is there a waiting list for DMK and LIS?

The schools in Tung Chung sound like local Chinese schools. My son doesn't speak a word of Chinese. I am little bit worried. Also I've heard that there are lots of homeworks at local schools. It's an option, but I am not sure if it's practical, any experience?

Bess is offline Registered User
    There is a wait list for current yr 1 at LIS, but not as big (yep on that one too, we spent a lot on application fees. And there is a school bus too. I found if you email the school, they are pretty good in replying.

I've seen posters advertising a school bus from DB to Bradbury school (it's an ESF school near Aberdeen on HK Is) and DB is included in their catchment area. (nb. most buses cost $HK2500+ per month in addition to fees)

With most "local schools", you'll need to find out what the medium of instruction is. We found that most primary were Cantonese, and you had to be pretty fluent in it to enroll.

Sorry, can't help with info on DMK.

0ze_Kid is offline Registered User
    I have heard good things about LIS and know a couple of people how have or have had their kids go. I was a little concerned because I found english errors on their website. I think they have been fixed now but still. I also don't really like the remoteness of it where others LOVE that it is a 'beach/country' school.

Bradbury list is as long as the others. Like Bess, we have spent on $$ and nothing has come through. We like DMK K3, it is not half day 9-2.15pm - wish it were a primary school in fact!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast