Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

bub fell out of bed

Aava.Wong is offline Registered User

bub fell out of bed

my bub fell out of bed when i turned away for a second and it was the worst feeling when i saw him lying on the floor crying his eyes out. i felt like a terrible mum because i KNEW about not putting bub on bed without my eyes on him but it happened so quickly that it took a while to register in my head!!

i picked him up as soon as he dropped and showered him with ****es and hugs. i quickly checked his legs, arms, fingers, toes and face/head for any visible/bleeding injuries. i should have taken him to the doc on that day but after checking out his body, googling for "when to rush bub to the doc!" and him getting back to being a normal happy baby after 10 minutes, i thought to pass it up. i noticed a soft bump on his head the day after but it has gone down now.

i didn't tell anyone because i was too scared to get told off, especially by my hubby. i locked up the secret, never to be told but i had to let it out here because i feel horrible - just horrible.

sympathy as well as telling off are welcome.

Shenzhennifer is offline Registered User
    That happened to me too. It was when I learned that he could move. It`s happened a couple more times too. Then there was the time when he was really small and I was holding him and I swung around and whacked his wee head on the corner of the cupboard.
    You can talk to my husband too, who decided it was OK to leave him alone in the bathtub for that 10 seconds. My baby tried to crawl out and slipped, fell and hit his face on the hard floor. It`s been a few months and he still has a scar on his face. I`m still pissed off at my husband bc of that.
    But don`t worry about your baby falling off the bed. He was probably more shocked than anything. You`re not a bad mom. I`m sure you`ll make lost more mistakes,as will I:)

carang is offline Registered User
    just wait until they are a little older, sleeping in their BIG beds.... they fall out all the time! you're not a bad mum. look at it as a learning experience and a mistake that won't happen again.

FutureHKmom is offline Registered User
    My son has fallen off the bed AND the couch before - both times on my watch! And he has also bumped his head numerous times climbing around. So I know EXACTLY how you feel! Don't worry about it! You don't mention how old your baby is, but once he/she gets to the crawling/cruising stage, there will be even more chances for bumps and bruises! My son is at that stage now and it seems like he bumps his head everyday!

Frenchy is offline Registered User
    Welcome to the club... it happened the first time my son was around 6 months, and since, i don't count anymore the times he fell, bumped, scratched... and still is a happy boy ! It looks terrible the first time, the good thing is that every one gets used to it !

Aava.Wong is offline Registered User
    aww thanks for the replies. i still feel sooooo guilty - trying to be the perfect mum (ok - next to perfect!!) and failing. the thing is we know NOT to put them on bed while we turn away even for a second and even knowing this, i did it.

he is 8 months old now and i'm already dreading how he will be/do at the playground or the school. when he had to take three jabs couple of months ago, i looked at his angel face and it broke my heart that he had to take three jabs!! poor bubba!!

why why why is this all so hard for moms or am i just being overly sensitive about everything? i really wish someone could invent that bubble wrap. i would be the first one in line to buy it!!

carang is offline Registered User
    it is NORMAL for kids, especially ones that are a little bit older, to fall. it is one of the ways they learn. you will NEVER be able to be there each and every time your little one falls. you CANNOT over re-act each time or you will drive yourself crazy. kids wouldn't be kids without bumps & bruises. it's a natural part of growing up. so, instead of beating yourself up over it, just tell yourself, it's going to happen more and more as your little one learns to walk, climb, swing on the "monkey bars" etc and consider this "practice" time for yourself in how to relax a little.

good luck from a mum of 3 & 5 yr olds.

StareBear is offline Registered User
    My daughter fell out of her pram when she was 10 weeks old. It still brings tears to my eyes to remember the shock of walking into the room and seeing her on the floor (she was sleeping in the pram as we were at my sister's house). Thank God it was carpet and not a long way to the ground but I agonised for days over what a fright it would have been for her and whether she hit her head etc. She settled very easily once I picked her up so I was confident no major damage had been done and everyone reassured me that she would let me know if something was wrong. Still a very valuable lesson was learnt - always strap your baby in, no matter if you think they can't move or that the surface is flat. They may choose that day to move for the first time!
    I wasn't going to tell my husband either but in the end I did so that he wouldn't make the same mistake. He was very understanding - probably more so than I would have been if it had been the other way around!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Scroll to top