Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Doctor wants to induce at 39 weeks

geomum is offline Registered User

Doctor wants to induce at 39 weeks

Hi everyone,
    I really need advice on this. Went for doctor's check up today at 37+ weeks and the doctor said he would induce me a 39 weeks if I didn't go into labour naturally by then. At the check up last week the estimated weight of the baby was around 7 pounds, so he said the baby is big (I don't think so myself). My daughter was born 7.3 pounds at 41 weeks after I was induced.
    Should I go with what the doctor says? Is he saying this to fit me in his schedule?
    Thanks in advance

newbiekt is offline Registered User

Hi. I would refuse to be induced at 39 weeks unless there is a good medical reason e.g. something wrong with the baby which means they want it out. If they gave no reason then you should ask at your next appointment why they want to do an induction. They shouldn't induce just for the size of the baby (and you are right 7lbs is not big). They told me my baby was getting close to 9lbs and induced me at 39 weeks and he turned out to be 7lbs 13ozs! I am pregnant again and will only be induced this time if I'm overdue or have some other medical issue. Good luck.

banane76 is offline Registered User

I agree with newbiekt. Ask your doctor why they want to induce you. Always ask why. Also the weight is just an estimate and not always accurate. The decision is always yours. Don't give away that power. I was just over 40 weeks and my baby was 7lbs 7oz and ended up asking for an inducement because a very prolonged labour. I don't know why your doctor would push you to induce though. Keep in mind that if you are induced and it takes too long, you have to get a caesarean.

geomum is offline Registered User

I did ask him why he wants to induce at 39 weeks and he said it was because the baby is the right size and why prolong it any further.

nicolejoy is offline Registered User

A lot of people prefer inductions these days, it seems... a LOT of my friends are induced at 39 weeks, mainly because their reasoning is "if the baby is big/healthy enough, why wait?"

Personally, I'd refuse unless I had good reason to induce (medical reasons, or my husband had to travel for work or something) since generally an induced labour is a harder labour... But others like the "convenience" of knowing when their baby will be born and all...

One thing to remember though - generally a failed induction ends up being an emergency caesarian - which will be more stress on your body, and more higher risks/costs as well!! Although it may be unlikely, I think that you need to consider that before agreeing to an induction...

In my situation, my waters broke at 39 weeks and so the doctors insisted on inducing me 24 hrs after, when my contractions were still weak and irregular. I was very close to needing an emergency c - but the baby came at the last minute... My labour was hard - and being in the public hospital, I was restricted to being on my back in bed the entire time... NOT a great experience - although I do understand that it was necessary for medical reasons... (although that's debatable too...)

AmyH is offline Registered User

I completely agree with Nicolejoy. I was induced after 41 weeks and it ended in a failed induction and an emergency c-section after 24 hours of labour.

If it were me, I would want a medical reason, and not just that the baby is an average size, as it seems that the doctor is just trying to labour you to fit his/her schedule.

Shenzhennifer is offline Registered User

The right size of the baby is the size it is when it is born, not when some doctor decides it is.
    I have NEVER heard of a doctor telling someone that they should get induced before 40 weeks for a reason like that. Sounds like he has holiday plans or something.
    I know it`s probably too late to get a new doctor but he doesn`t sound right to me.
    It sounds like your intuition is telling you to wait. Stick with your intuition. It`s your body, your baby, your family.

TheQuasimother is offline Registered User

Hi
    I was induced at 40.5 weeks.
    I was induced at 8:30 a.m.
    Baby came out at 4:25 p.m. No dramas.
    It was my decision as the baby was getting too big and I was worried about post-recovery.
    He came out 3.75 kg (8.3lbs) and I had two stitches or was it four - I can't recall. I did have one of the best OBGYN deliver my bub though. Baby did get stuck but he didn't cut me, he vacuumed the baby out instead. Wasn't pretty... he looked like a conehead. I was fine though :-)
    While some may have a had a hard time, there are some who don't.
    I didn't. But i must say that I would not have done it at 39 weeks.
    I would wait until the official roasting time is up.
    Cheers!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast