Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Confinement Nanny (Pui Yuet)? To hire or not? Recommendations

loubiaddict is offline Registered User

Confinement Nanny (Pui Yuet)? To hire or not? Recommendations

I am thinking whether I should hire a confinement nanny and a maid since I'm a first time mom. The other option is using one of those companies that provides meals and hire a nanny who can help me take care of the baby.

Can anyone recommend a good confinement lady and a maid for Sep? I'm due on Sep 5th and since I'm a first time mom, who would be taking care of the baby all by myself, I'm looking for some help. My husband will be busy with work in China, so he can only fly down once in a while. Also, since I'm not that familiar with Hong Kong I am hoping I can hire someone who knows the environment better. However, I am currently residing in Vancouver and won't be moving to Hong Kong till July. I can make arrangements to meet up with the nanny when I go to Hong Kong for prenatal check-ups. Thanks!

brightcindy is offline Registered User

My Pui Yuet is excellent but do you speak any Cantonese?

Quote Originally Posted by brightcindy View Post
    My Pui Yuet is excellent but do you speak any Cantonese?
    Yup. I'm originally from Hong Kong but just left when I was real young. Language wouldn't be a problem but I'm just hoping I can find someone who knows Hong Kong better than I do. Would you mind giving me the info of your pui yuet Brightcindy? Thanks!

carang is offline Registered User

personally, i would just go for the helper. i didn't have anyone around to "help" me except my helper, who was charged with cooking and cleaning.

for me, it seemed like a waste of money, first time mummy or not. however, i know that not everyone feels that way.

good luck, whatever you decide to do!

cesh is offline Registered User

I have to agree with Carang. Someone to help with cooking and cleaning and then a couple of good books and maybe a lactation consutlant visit if you need it. And join a mother's group - that's the best way to get to know Hong Kong, and to get advice and reassurance on baby issues. You'll manage better than you think.

Thanks Carang and Cesh for the advice!

I was wondering where can I find a good helper? I grew up with nannies from the Philippines and they were great; however, I have also heard of horror stories nowadays. Anyone can give me some info on where to find a helper or would you have one to recommend from July to Oct? Thanks!

carang is offline Registered User

like anything/anyone, there are great helpers and not great helpers. there are kind, caring, considerate, hard-working, honest helpers and there are spiteful, lazy, dishonest helpers. same holds true for the employers out there.

if you are only here for a few months, you will have a difficult time as the contract is 2 years. it will take a from a few weeks to a few months to sort out the helper's visa as well.

a "good" helper depends on your requirements and your confidence as a new mother. after my first, i was very confident. my "mothering" instinct was strong and i didn't want my helper to be doing things that i could do for my baby. i knew i'd be going back to work shortly after giving birth and i wanted that little bit of time beforehand for myself. however, if you are a "nervous" mother, then you may want someone who "knows the ropes" and can show you things that you might not already know or hadn't thought of.

if i were you, i'd try to interview as many helpers as possible through recommendations of friends/acquaintances. go with your gut and get a good book about having live-in help.

Gataloca is offline Registered User

I think if you just need help for few months, then a pui yuet would be a good option. Specially if you have no idea about how to take care a baby, or if you have a strong chinese cultural background that you would like to follow.

Also, you will not have to provide her with a place to stay at night (a good thing if you don't want to have a stranger living with you). I think she will also be able to help you with traditional chinese soups, like chinese pork feet in ginger vinegar, if you need to. They are also trained in prenatal and postnatal care.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast