Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Gastric Reflux

louisouis is offline Registered User

Gastric Reflux

I am currently pregnant with my second baby, Yipee! But this time i am suffering from gastric reflux and am wondering whether any ladies can recommend any remedies. It is not causing me any major problems just general discomfort, nasty taste in my mouth feel like I have just thrown up all the time. Can't seem to stomach much liquids, basically i am either very very hungry or suffering from gastric reflux....Any advice will be very much appreciated

sherwes is offline Registered User
    Mylanta worked well for me. It is available without prescription.

southside852 is offline Registered User
    i had it as well while pregnant and took gaviscon.

AmyH is offline Registered User
    I also took gaviscon to relieve this during my pregnancy.

Congratulations by the way!

BabyG is offline Registered User
    I am suffering reflux at the moment and I bought Maalox tablets from watsons the other day. They are chewable and lemon flavour. I feel so much better now. Take care =)

starbucks2 is offline Registered User
    I had it really bad the second time around and even gaviscon didn't help. I had to get some pills from my doctor in the end. Think they were called Xantac?

southside852 is offline Registered User
    xantac is definitely stronger than gaviscon. my son had reflux until around 8 months and we gave him a small dose of that twice a day to help with it.

Gemma is offline Registered User
    I've been having really bad reflux as well the last couple of nights, to the point where I wake up coughing cause the acid has regurgitated back up. But that's partly my fault as I have been stuffing myself with macarons watching TV in bed the last 2 nights :P

Try eating more meals but less in volume. Avoid caffeine, ciggies and alcohol (you probably do anyway atm), chocolate, fatty foods, eating large meals and lying down straight away after a meal. Identify triggers and avoid (macarons in bed for me :( )

Over the counter medications like Mylanta and Gaviscon belong in the pregnancy category A and are deemed to be very safe. These are alkaline solutions which neutralise the acid in the stomach. Medications like Zantac which actually work to block the acid producing glands in the stomach are stronger if the OTC meds don't work; they belong in category B1 but is still considered safe in pregnancy.

I just hope it doesn't get worse for me, waking up coughing at night ain't fun :( Hope this helps!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast