Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Moving and having to buy furniture

Shenzhennifer is offline Registered User

Moving and having to buy furniture

We have just been asked to vacate our apartment by mid April. We lucked out with this one because it came fully furnished and we rented it a year ago when the prices were really low.
    We want to stay in the same complex, which is pretty big, but apparently most of the apartments have already been rented before the Luner New Year. So we`ll be lucky to find one, and I can guarantee that it won`t be furnished. This is a big pain in the but for us since we have just recently decided that we`ll be leaving HK within 2 years.

So, I`m just wondering about the folks who come out here with intentions of staying only a couple of years. What did you do about furniture and appliances? The classifieds are not a really convenient place to shop because of distance and delivery issues, plus I don`t like buying second-hand appliances unless they come with a warranty - you just never know what it`s been through. Did you just go to IKEA or Pricerite, whatever, and furnish your place, and just deal with getting rid of it when you need to?

What did you all do?

carang is offline Registered User
    yep, pretty much.

the problem with ikea is that it is cheap (and i mean cheap price & quality), but the great thing about ikea is that it is cheap (and relatively nice looking). personally, i HATE pricerite furniture...think it's terribly ugly!

for appliances, if you are only here for a couple of years, then i WOULD look at second hand appliances. however, even unfurnished flats usually come with a fridge, cooktop, washing machine etc. so you may not need those at all!

matemate is offline Registered User
    why not go to shenzhen and stock up? delivery can be all arranged incuding installation and it's much cheaper

Sazzy is offline Registered User
    are there any 'hire furniture' companies?

Shenzhennifer is offline Registered User
    Cara - yeah, IKEA really is such crap, unless you splurged on their higher end stuff... If I have to buy appliances, yeah, I guess it would be a LOT cheaper to get second hand ones, reluctantly, but it really all depends on timing, if the stuff is available when we need it. I don`t want to camp out in my own home, not with a baby, thank you:)

MateMate - stock up where in SZ? Who delivers and installs? Are you talking about IKEA? Funnily enough, some items are even more expensive in SZ, though some are cheaper. do you have any good places to go to that arranges all this? When we moved from SZ to HK, we had no furniture, only bits and bobs, and it still cost over 3000 rmb to move it cross border.

Sazzy - I`m sure there are, but it would be cheaper to buy new, since we will still be here for up to 2 years longer.

0ze_Kid is offline Registered User
    The last time we came I pretty much decked in IKEA because of the second hand resell value! When we went home 12 months later unexpectedly, I got half price for most of the goods. I did supliement with new items from other places that we shipped home and also purchased secondhand.

I found items that were now from IKEA were harder to 'move' (sell), took longer and were just not worth the hassle of trying to sell.

I like the Shenzhen idea but would not know where to start!

TheQuasimother is offline Registered User
    You can get cheap appliances which you can probably chuck or sell second hand from Direct Sales Centre. There's one in Tsuen Wan's Discovery Park Mall.

cesh is offline Registered User
    I like Eureka furniture in Aberdeen. They stock ex display flat and executive rental furniture from their partner company Home Essentials. It's great quality. I bought a tv stand and an armchair there last year and was very happy. Thinking about buying a dining setting before I leave HK in April (our company pay for relocation).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast