Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Need help desperately!!! 2weeks sleeping not drinking enough!

xxJJxxx is offline Registered User

Exclamation Need help desperately!!! 2weeks sleeping not drinking enough!

Dear experienced mummies,

Please HELP!!!!!!!!!
    My husband and i had a hard time waking our 2 weeks baby up for feeds on a 3-4hours intervals, be it in the day or night time! Tried all methods like striping her to diapers to make her feel warm,stroking her back,talking aloud,singing, music etc but she's still very SOUND ASLEEP!!!!!!

Each feed takes us about at least an hour to complete that 60ml and the thing is we usually feed her when she's pouting her tongue and showing signs of hunger.. But the minute we put the bottle into her mouth, she will just doze off within 2mins and the rest has been a torture trying to make her complete the whole course.

Please give us some advices to resolve this very vexed issue..Our lovely baby is soo cute but when it comes to feeding time, it's really a nightmare!!!!!!!!!!

Hope to get more tips from experienced mummies out there!

Thanks a million!!!!!!!

dimsum mum is offline Registered User

Hi

My advice: Let her sleep. Feed her when she cries and is hungry. It might be that she takes 75 ml every five hours. Two weeks quite young to be starting a schedule.

You are doing everything absolutely right...the stripping down, the slightly chilly room, light in the room...if she is still dozing off it is because she is tired.

IF you do let your daughter create her own feeding schedule (something I have never done), then do keep an eye on not only how much she is taking in, but how many wet and poopy nappies she is producing a day. When you go in for your first check up, mention it to the dr, and see how the weight gain is going.
    Good luck. My suggestion might not be right, but at two weeks, I think she's just needing to sleep and will let you know when she's needing to eat. Hopefully someone else will chime in.

Shenzhennifer is offline Registered User

I wish my baby was that sleepy at 2 weeks. I was sooo tired:)
    How is her weight? Is she back to her birth weight and then some?
    Before she dozes off, how much of the 60mls is she drinking? Does it meet the daily `requirement` of babies at that age? (I breastfed so could not measure.)
    How are her wet and poopy diapers? I used to change my son`s diaper every 2-3 hours at that time and he had at least poop almost every time.
    I agree with Dimsum Mum that it is definitely too early for a schedule, but only as long as she is healthy. The answers to the above questions should give you some indication.
    Two weeks is still very young - she could just be really exhausted from the birthing process and just being alive in this world, especially at this cold time!
    Maybe try letting her sleep and see when she naturally wakes up to feed and how much she will naturally take in then.

Panda2010 is offline Registered User

My daughter used to fall asleep whilst feeding from the bottle and i discovered that the teat flow was too slow and therefore it was taking her too long + too much effort to feed. What teat are you using?

aussie mum is offline Registered User

my first child was a sleepy baby too. and I didn't know that i should be waking him to feed him. so I didn't.
    he ended up losing over 30% of his birthweight in the first 9 days.
    keep an eye on weight and wet nappies. if they are both ok I guess it is ok to leave baby to sleep longer and trust his own waking for feeding. that wasn't the case for me.
    I used to resort to all sorts of cruel things to get my baby to wake up and feed. he needn't it. a sleepy baby who doesn't feed will just get sleepier.
    eventually it got easier and easier

Lisainhk is offline Registered User

Hey my boy was an epic sleeper until the age of 4 weeks when he finally decided to join the world. He had jaundice and needed photo therapy when he was just born which made him even sleepier. I was always really worried that he wasn't feeding enough and the only way I could wake him was to put him in the bath! But I couldn't do that every 3 hours. My advice is to check that your bub is regularly wetting and pooing nappies. And if bub is gaining sufficient weight then I would enjoy this sleepy stage while it lasts!! I remember the midwives telling me off in hospital coz I wasn't feeding him often enough and not believing me when I said 'I can't wake him!' It was stressful and I felt like a bad mum but when they found that the usual waking tricks just didn't work on him, they left me alone. :) If you get really worried that he's losing weight, take him to the doc. But if all is ok and he's just super sleepy, then enjoy it!!! It won't last! Now I want to know where that sleepy baby went!

isa88 is offline Registered User

...the breast!

The only thing that works for my little 4 months baby is the breast! ... my point of view, the breast is the best of the best pacifiers the best to go sleep!

Quote Originally Posted by xxJJxxx View Post
    Dear experienced mummies,

Please HELP!!!!!!!!!
    My husband and i had a hard time waking our 2 weeks baby up for feeds on a 3-4hours intervals, be it in the day or night time! Tried all methods like striping her to diapers to make her feel warm,stroking her back,talking aloud,singing, music etc but she's still very SOUND ASLEEP!!!!!!

Each feed takes us about at least an hour to complete that 60ml and the thing is we usually feed her when she's pouting her tongue and showing signs of hunger.. But the minute we put the bottle into her mouth, she will just doze off within 2mins and the rest has been a torture trying to make her complete the whole course.

Please give us some advices to resolve this very vexed issue..Our lovely baby is soo cute but when it comes to feeding time, it's really a nightmare!!!!!!!!!!

Hope to get more tips from experienced mummies out there!

Thanks a million!!!!!!!

sherwes is offline Registered User

My first baby was a big sleeper too. It was basically impossible to feed him when he was sleepy so I made the decision that I would just wait for him to wake up hungry and then feed him. Sometimes he went 6 hours without a feed but, when he did wake, he had a huge appetite! I made sure that he was producing 6-8 wet nappies a day and weighed him twice weekly to make sure that he wasn't losing weight. So long as the weight gain is ok I wouldn't be too concerned about how often your baby is feeding.

p.s. one tip they gave me in hospital was to tickle my baby's toes while feeding him to keep him awake. Didn't work for me but worth a mention...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast